One day after being held to one run on five hits, Tacoma banged out 15 hits in a 7-3 win at El Paso and won the series on the road, three games to one.
Six different Rainiers had two hits, including new outfielder Ramon Flores. Flores was a key cog in the offense – his exploits are detailed in the Rainiers game story link down below.
Today the Rainiers traveled to Las Vegas for the first time this season, with the opener of the four-game series set for 7:05. Vegas has been in first place in the Pacific-South all year, but the team is struggling right now: the 51s just went 2-6 on an eight-game road trip, dropping three out of four at both Reno and Sacramento.
Yesterday: Six players had two hits as Tacoma downed El Paso, 7-3. Jordan Pries pitched into the seventh inning and earned the win.
Roster Moves: Today the Rainiers add new pitcher Adrian Sampson to the active roster – he starts Sunday. Infielder Shawn O’Malley is activated from the disabled list, and outfielder Leon Landry was transferred to Double-A Jackson.
Today: Tacoma (52-55) at Las Vegas (59-48), 7:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Roenis Elias (3-0, 6.75) at RHP Tim Stauffer (–).
The Mets just signed the veteran Stauffer, who opened the season in the majors as a reliever for the Twins. This is his first PCL appearance of the year – he’ll probably have a short outing, as he has not started this season.
Hot Rainiers: John Hicks has hit safely in seven straight games, going 12-for-23 during that time. Justin Ruggiano has reached base via hit or walk in 18 straight games. Also, reliever Mayckol Guaipe has not allowed a run in his last six appearances, covering ten innings pitched.
Look Out For: The Vegas bats just went cold during a four-game series at pitcher-friendly Raley Field, but outfielder Darrell Ceciliani has a six-game hitting streak during which he has gone 11-for-23.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story focuses on the contributions of new outfielder Ramon Flores.
- Taijuan Walker had his best start in the big leagues, Jesus Montero homered, and the Mariners beat the Twins 6-1 on Friday night. Ketel Marte went 0-for-4 with a walk in his major league debut.
- A lot happened on trade deadline day, and Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook covers the moves.
- Mariners General Manager Jack Zduriencik explained the moves.
- In the PCL, Alfredo Marte homered in the tenth to give Salt Lake a 9-8 win at Albuquerque in a game in which each team hit a grand slam.
- Reno rallied in the seventh inning to beat Fresno, 5-4. Fresno is getting Jonathan Singleton back from the big leagues.
- Sacramento used six pitchers to shut down Las Vegas 5-1, and win the series three games to one.
- Omaha is storming toward the playoffs despite lots of roster changed. The Storm Chasers beat Round Rock last night, 10-3.
- Oklahoma City finally won a game, beating Memphis 6-1.
- Colorado Springs outlasted New Orleans in 13 innings, 3-1. Matt Clark hit the game-winning homer.
- Iowa pitchers issued eight walks, yet the Cubs still beat Nashville 5-2.
That’s all of the links I could get to today – posted this from a very busy Sky Harbor Airport, where the internet is spotty.