The Triple-A All-Star Game was quite an event last night, and I hope those of you who attended had a blast.
The broadcast was enjoyable, and it was fun to work with Pawtucket’s Josh Maurer on the call. He’s a pro, and I wish him the best in the second half.
In the game Nashville’s Renato Nunez was the big star launching a three-run homer to lead the Pacific Coast League to a 6-4 win over the International League. The PCL ended a four game (four year?) losing streak in the event.
The two Rainiers players weren’t involved much in the outcome. Jean Machi pitched an inning, allowing a solo homer and an unearned run. Dan Vogelbach struck out in his only plate appearance – his all-star moments came in the Home Run Derby on Monday.
Now we are back to Rainiers season. It’s like the Triple-A All-Star Game was the opener of a five-game homestand. Tacoma hosts Fresno all weekend.
Yesterday: The Rainiers have been off for three days during the all-star break. Tacoma did win on Sunday in Sacramento, 12-0, to get into the break three games over .500.
Roster Moves: Sunday’s game included an injury to outfielder Andrew Aplin, who hurt his knee sliding into second for a stolen base. D.J. Peterson was battling a hip problem, and Tyler O’Neill had a hamstring issue. Aplin has been placed on the disabled list, and so far I haven’t heard anything on Peterson and O’Neill. But we may have some roster moves today.
Today: Fresno (49-41) at Tacoma (46-43), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Houston Astros.
Season Series: Fresno leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Trent Thornton (5-2, 5.49) at RHP Sam Gaviglio (2-3, 3.31).
Hot Rainiers: Leonys Martin has been successful in his last 20 stolen base attempts… he’s gone 15-for-36 in his last eight games… Tyler O’Neill has hit eight homers in the last 15 games, and he has a six-game hitting streak… Tuffy Gosewish hit his first three homers of the season over the course of his last seven games going into the break.
Look Out For: Tony Kemp has a 17-game hitting streak, and he had a ten-game before that – he’s hit safely in 27 of his last 28 games… Colin Moran had two hits including a homer in the Triple-A All-Star Game yesterday… Alejandro Garcia has an eight-game hitting streak.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The News Tribune has covered the Triple-A All-Star Game all week. Let’s start with the report on the game, which includes some video elements. We also have an all-star notebook, in which the idea of Tacoma hosting another one in the future is discussed.
- Here’s the recap of the All-Star Game from MiLB.com. It reminded me: PCL starting pitcher Wilmer Font worked just one inning, retiring the side, and only threw four pitches. I wonder how many he threw in the bullpen warming up?
- The Seattle Times caught up with Rainiers All-Star Dan Vogelbach.
- John McGrath talked to the architect who did the Cheney Stadium redesign in 2011, and attended the game last night.
- Art Thiel has a column on the business of the All-Star Game and the Tacoma Rainiers.
- A former minor league team owner travels around the country going to various all-star games, and he was in our park last night.
- Jerry Dipoto discussed the Mariners roller coaster of a first half.