Tacoma has won only one series in Reno, ever, but the team has a chance to take this series tonight.
The Rainiers won a three-game series at Reno in 2015, but are 20-50 all-time at Greater Nevada Field which opened in 2009.
With the series-opening win on Tuesday, and the fact that this is a three-game series, Tacoma has a chance to take the series tonight. Last night Reno evened it up with a 6-3 win.
Tacoma will try to win this series with third base coach Denny Hocking filling in as manager. Pat Listach is on his Mariners-required four-day vacation starting today.
Hocking has already filled in for three games this season when Listach was called up to help Seattle. He’s 2-1 as a fill-in skipper.
After tonight’s game the Rainiers hop on a bus and drive through the mountains to Sacramento for a four-game, three-day series which starts on Friday night.
Yesterday: Reno erased a 3-1 deficit by scoring four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, with PCL All-Star Oswaldo Arcia‘s three-run homer the go-ahead hit, and beat Tacoma 6-3 on Wednesday night.
Today: Tacoma (44-40) at Reno (51-35), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 7-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Chase De Jong (3-4, 5.54) at RHP Jake Buchanan (2-2, 4.75).
Buchanan was just acquired by Reno – he made eight starts in the PCL for Iowa in April and May, and has also pitched in the majors for Cincinnati this year.
Hot Rainiers: Andrew Aplin saw his ten-game hitting streak come to an end last night… Leonys Martin has been successful in his last 19 stolen base attempts… D.J. Peterson has four straight multiple-hit games (9-for-16)… Steven Baron is 10-for-his-last-22… Tyler O’Neill has hit eight homers in the last 13 games.
Look Out For: Oswaldo Arcia has reached base safely in 29 straight games… Socrates Brito has nine hits over his last four games… Zach Borenstein is 9-for-13 over his last four games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Mariners lost in ten innings and were swept by the Kansas City Royals. Three takeaways from the game.
- Kyle Seager is having trouble heating up at the plate.
- The Mariners are the second-worst team in baseball on the basepaths, running into too many outs. This was a focal point in spring training.
- In the PCL, Fresno’s 12-game win streak ended with an appropriate 12-run loss to Salt Lake, 19-7.
- Las Vegas outfielder Travis Taijeron had a big night in a 7-3 win over El Paso.
- Sacramento’s Roberto Gomez shut down Albuquerque, 6-1. The local paper has a feature on catcher Tom Murphy.
- Colorado Springs swept a doubleheader from Nashville, and has won a franchise record 11 straight home games.
- Justin Masterson pitched seven shutout innings in Oklahoma City’s 8-0 win over Iowa.
- Omaha shortstop Raul Mondesi had three hits in a 2-1 win at New Orleans.
- Memphis took down Round Rock, 6-4.