While broadcasting games I keep a scoresheet, and last night I wrote down some numbers I had never previously inked on a scorecard.
Nine is the right fielder, and one is the pitcher. Nobody else touched the ball, and it was a double play.
Here’s how that happened:
Reno’s Ildemaro Vargas was at first base with one out, and Christian Walker was the batter.
Walker hit a pop up to shallow right field, and it looked like it might drop in for a hit, so Vargas threw caution to the wind and started running toward second base.
Tacoma first baseman Dan Vogelbach went back into the outfield to try to catch it, and right fielder Zach Shank came charging in.
Shank caught the fly ball, putting the batter out. Vargas was way off first base.
So Shank threw it to pitcher Christian Bergman, who had run over to cover first base for exactly this situation. Vargas was doubled off, and there you have it: a 9-1 double play.
Yesterday: Tacoma had 16 hits, including three homers, and beat up Reno on the Fourth of July, 12-4. Tyler O’Neill hit two homers, but it should be noted one came off Reno second baseman Kristopher Negron who was mopping up the ninth inning. Gordon Beckham had four hits, and D.J. Peterson drove in four runs.
Today: Tacoma (44-39) at Reno (51-34), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 6-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Rob Whalen (0-6, 6.33) at LHP Anthony Banda (6-4, 4.70).
Banda really is pitching today – last we heard, anyway. Reno keeps shuffling its rotation.
Hot Rainiers: Andrew Aplin has a ten-game hitting streak, and he is 17-for-47 with 14 RBI over his last 17 games… Leonys Martin has been successful in his last 19 stolen base attempts… D.J. Peterson has three straight multiple-hit games (7-for-12)… Steven Baron is 10-for-his-last-22… Tyler O’Neill has hit seven homers in the last 13 games.
Look Out For: Oswaldo Arcia has reached base safely in 28 straight games… Socrates Brito has eight hits over his last three games… Zach Borenstein is 8-for-10 over his last three games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The field for the Triple-A All-Star Home Run Derby is set. Dan Vogelbach will represent the Rainiers. We’ll have more on this prior to the event on Monday.
- The News Tribune has a look at Rainiers pitcher Casey Lawrence.
- The Mariners lost their sixth straight home game to Kansas City yesterday, and the team is failing to take advantage of a friendly portion of the schedule.
- Larry Stone wonders if the Mariners can turn it around and make the playoffs.
- Hisashi Iwakuma had a setback in his return from a shoulder injury.
PCL Game Reports:
- Fresno made it 12 straight wins with a 5-4 win over Salt Lake.
- Puyallup High School graduate Adam Cimber made a terrific spot start for El Paso, going 6.2 innings and allowing one run in a 5-1 win at Las Vegas.
- Albuquerque’s Sam Howard was brilliant in a 2-0 win over Sacramento.
- Colorado Springs continued its hot play, rallying in the eighth inning to bat Nashville, 9-8.
- Justin Nicolino pitched New Orleans to a 3-2 win over Omaha.
- Oklahoma City’s starting pitcher was scratched during warm-ups, but the Dodgers still defeated Iowa, 5-2. The Oklahoman has a feature on PCL All-Star outfielder Alex Verdugo.
- A huge crowd saw Round Rock get rocked by Memphis, 10-1.