The Rainiers got blown out on Sunday, 9-1, and ended up losing three of the four games at Reno. Tacoma is now nine games out of first place, and the Rainiers all-time record in that ballpark now stands at 19-49.
But here’s some good news: the Rainiers are home now, and this team has played great baseball at Cheney Stadium. Tacoma is 23-12 at home this year, and an eight-game homestand starts tonight.
Las Vegas comes to town, bringing the second-worst record in the PCL with them. The 51s are 29-47 this year, and have lost seven of their last nine games.
Top prospects Amed Rosario and Dominic Smith are still with Las Vegas, despite New York Mets fans clamoring for a call-up of Rosario. Rosario has tapered off at the plate, batting just .231 in June, but Smith is on an extended hot streak right now.
After the four games with Las Vegas, the Albuquerque Isotopes comes to town for four games culminating with the July 3rd Fireworks Spectacular (or is it an Extravaganza? I can never remember. Either way, it’s awesome).
It’ll be a great homestand and we hope you can make it out to the park.
Yesterday: Reno coasted to an easy 9-1 win over the Rainiers on Sunday, opening up a nine-game lead in the Pac-North standings. Tacoma had just five hits in the loss, with Andrew Aplin‘s homer being the only run.
Today: Las Vegas (29-47) at Tacoma (38-36), 6:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 5-2.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Tyler Pill (4-1, 2.04) at RHP Chase De Jong (3-3, 4.89).
Hot Rainiers: Andrew Aplin is 10-for-28 with eight RBI over his last 11 games… Boog Powell is 8-for-15 with a homer over his last four games… Jonathan Aro had two outstanding relief appearances in Reno, pitching 4.1 shutout innings allowing one hit.
Look Out For: Dominic Smith has a 12-game hitting streak, and he has hit safely in 19 of his last 20 with the only hitless game at Tacoma on June 11… Kevin Plawecki has a nine-game hitting streak, with three homers during the streak… after hitting .404 in April and .322 in May, top prospect Amed Rosario is batting just .231 in June.
Ex-Rainiers and Local Guys: Las Vegas doesn’t have any.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Reno’s Christian Walker talked to MiLB.com after driving in five runs against the Rainiers yesterday.
- The Mariners lost to Houston on Sunday and dropped two-of-three in the series. Three takeaways from the game.
- John McGrath was at the game and filed this column.
PCL Game Reports:
- Salt Lake starter Daniel Wright held the Las Vegas hitters in check in a 4-3 win on Sunday.
- Albuquerque scored three runs in the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th innings of a 12-5 win over El Paso. Carter Capps was ejected for throwing “illegal pitches.” The paper has a feature on red-hot third baseman Ryan McMahon, who will be here in Tacoma on Friday. We also have some fun facts from the longest game in Isotopes history – the 5 hour, 35 minute games against El Paso on Saturday night.
- Iowa and Round Rock were suspended due to rain in the second inning, so the Austin Statesman sportswriter dug into the day game or night game debate.
- Matt Juengel‘s three-run homer helped the Baby Cakes scribble all over the Sky Sox, 7-1.
- Omaha’s Luke Farrell had a strong start, and Jorge Soler ripped a three-run homer in a 5-3 win over Memphis.
- Oklahoma City completed a four-game sweep of Nashville, 3-1, behind Justin Masterson‘s gem.