Tacoma corner infielder D.J. Peterson has been on a hot streak for a while, and now he takes his bat to El Paso with the rest of the Rainiers for a four-game series.
Peterson has homered in three straight games and has 13 hits during a six-game hitting streak, boosting his season totals to .264-9-36 in 59 games. He’s raised his OPS to .743 for the year.
D.J. got off to a slow start this year, but now he’s clicking. He’s hitting .341 in the month of June, and he has reached base safely in 18 of his last 19 games.
Even when he was struggling earlier in the year, he still managed to belt a pair of homers on the team’s first trip to El Paso. Perhaps he’ll continue the home run streak tonight.
Yesterday: Felix Hernandez was terrific on Sunday, retiring 14 straight batters to open the game and lead the Rainiers to a 5-3 victory over Las Vegas. The Rainiers took two of the three games against Las Vegas, and have won three of the last four games overall.
Roster Moves: Outfielder Boog Powell rejoined the Rainiers on Sunday, when the Mariners activated Mitch Haniger from the disabled list. The Rainiers have transferred outfielder Brayan Hernandez to Everett, and activated LHP Kyle Hunter from the disabled list.
Today: Tacoma (35-27) at El Paso (30-34), 6:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: San Diego Padres.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Rob Whalen (0-3, 5.18) at RHP Andre Rienzo (2-0, 2.60).
Hot Rainiers: Tyler O’Neill has an eight-game hitting streak… D.J. Peterson is 13-for-24 over his last six games, has homered in three straight games, and he has reached base safely in 18 of his last 19 games… Dan Vogelbach has reached base via hit or walk in 11 straight games.
Look Out For: Former Rainiers outfielder Jabari Blash has homered in three straight games for El Paso, driving in eight runs… Rafael Ortega has a nine-game hitting streak… Carlos Asuaje has reached base safely in 18 straight games.
Ex-Rainiers and Local Guys: El Paso outfielder Jabari Blash and pitchers Logan Bawcom, Carter Capps, and Zach Lee are all former Rainiers… El Paso pitcher Adam Cimber graduated from Puyallup High School in 2009, and attended UW for three years before transferring to the University of San Francisco for his senior year.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
Triple-A All-Star Game: We’re hosting it at Cheney Stadium on July 12, and fan balloting is live now – go here and vote for who you want to see.
- Here’s the report on Felix Hernandez‘s outing for the Rainiers on Sunday.
- Felix is set for one more rehabilitation start, on Saturday against Salt Lake at Cheney Stadium.
- The Mariners blasted the Twins on Monday night, pulling within one game of .500. Three takeaways from the game.
- The first day of the draft was yesterday. Seattle took University of Kentucky first baseman Evan White with its first pick. With its next selection, the Mariners selected a high school pitcher from Minnesota named Sam Carlson.
- Columnist Matt Calkins writes that Evan White fits the Mariners blueprint.
- Baseball America has an in-depth article on White which was posted back in February.
- D.J. Peterson headlines a look at the Mariners farm system.
The entire PCL was off yesterday, but a few notes:
- The El Paso Times has a feature on rehabilitating Padres reliever Carter Capps, who once pitched for Tacoma and Seattle. We’ll see him in this series. The Chihuahuas lost their last two games against Fresno, including an 11-5 decision on Sunday.
- Reno won on Sunday in Sacramento to remain four games ahead of Tacoma in the Pacific-North standings. The Aces open a four-game series at Salt Lake tonight.