There have been a handful of players over the years who hit especially well against the Tacoma Rainiers, but I can’t recall anyone doing so with quite the fervor of Reno second baseman Ildemaro Vargas.
This guy is absolutely annihilating the Tacoma pitching staff, and there doesn’t appear to be anything the Rainiers can do about it.
In the first three games of this series, Vargas has had a 4-hit game, another 4-hit game, and a 3-hit game. He’s 11-for-15 with three doubles, two homers, seven runs scored, and nine RBI.
And it’s not just this series. Last year, Vargas batted .475 against Tacoma, going 19-for-40.
In his career, Vargas is batting .545 against the Rainiers, with 30 hits in 55 at-bats. That’s right, 30-for-55!
The kid hit a grand slam off Felix Hernandez, for cripes sake.
If the Rainiers are going to avoid getting swept today, they need to find a way to stop Ildemaro Vargas from reaching base.
Yesterday: Reno pulled away in the late innings and beat Tacoma, 8-3. The Rainiers did play better, getting a solid start from Rob Whalen and a two-run homer from Dan Vogelbach, but Tacoma has now lost ten of its last 13 games.
Today: Reno (38-22) at Tacoma (32-26), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 3-0.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Erik Jokisch (3-3, 7.43) at RHP Chase De Jong (2-3, 5.27).
Hot Rainiers: Leonys Martin has hit safely in 20 of his last 24 games… Tyler O’Neill has a five-game hitting streak… D.J. Peterson is 5-for-8 over the last two games.
Look Out For: Ildemaro Vargas needs to be placed in a nuclear containment building… Jack Reinheimer has a ten-game hitting streak… ex-Rainiers infielder Ketel Marte has homered in four of his last six games… Oswaldo Arcia has an eight-game hitting streak with four homers during it… Christian Walker leads the PCL with 17 home runs, including two in this series.
Local Guys and Ex-Rainiers: Ketel Marte was traded with Taijuan Walker to the Diamondbacks for Jean Segura and Mitch Haniger. Still a riveting trade, eh? Let’s not even bother trying to decide who won the deal until at least 2022… Carlos Rivero played for Tacoma in 2015… Hank Conger grew up in Federal Way but moved to southern California before high school.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
Triple-A All-Star Game: We’re hosting it at Cheney Stadium on July 12, and fan balloting is live now – go here and vote for who you want to see.
- Mitch Haniger continued his rehabilitation program in the Rainiers loss yesterday. He should be in the lineup again tonight.
- The Mariners got back to .500 in dramatic fashion, with Mike Zunino hitting a two-run game-ending homer to beat Minnesota on Thursday night, 6-5. Three takeaways from the game.
- Seattle extended shortstop Jean Segura‘s contract for five years, bringing stability to 3/4ths of the infield for years to come.
- marc w at USS Mariner shares his thoughts on the contract extension.
- Last year’s first round draft pick Kyle Lewis is close to joining one of the Mariners Class-A affiliates. He’s been out 11 months with a severe knee injury.
PCL Game Reports:
- We had a no-hitter last night. Four Nashville pitchers combined to no-hit the Omaha Storm Chasers in a 4-0 win. It was the first no-hitter ever pitched at Omaha’s Werner Park, and the second no-no in the PCL this year. Chris Smith went six innings, and Sean Doolittle, Tucker Healy, and Simon Castro pitched one inning apiece.
- Amed Rosario‘s two-run homer helped Las Vegas win in Salt Lake City, 5-3.
- Fresno plated two runs in the top of the ninth inning to beat Sacramento, 6-5. Fresno pitcher Francis Martes – who started against Tacoma twice in the past ten days – was called up by the Astros.
- Thad Weber pitched well, but Albuquerque lost in the ninth inning to El Paso, 6-5.
- Local guy Travis Snider went 5-for-6 in Round Rock’s 9-3 win at Colorado Springs. The paper has a feature on Brewers top prospect Lewis Brinson.
- Casey Kelly pitched a complete game shutout in the second game of Iowa’s doubleheader sweep over Oklahoma City.
- New Orleans took down Memphis, 5-4, when Chad Hinshaw caked a two-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning.