Early game, gotta get right to the…
Yesterday: Reno continued to score at will, plating 12 runs on 14 hits in a 12-9 victory over Tacoma on Tuesday night. Felix Hernandez‘s rehab went well from a health perspective – his shoulder felt fine – but he had no command of his pitches. Ildemaro Vargas went 4-for-5 including a grand slam off Felix. Tacoma’s Tyler O’Neill lifted a grand slam to left off soft-tossing Aaron Laffey in the third inning, briefly giving Tacoma a lead.
Roster Move: The Rainiers added rehabilitating major leaguers Felix Hernandez and Mitch Haniger yesterday. Looks like Felix will pitch again on Sunday, and Haniger will be here for at least three games.
Today: Reno (37-22) at Tacoma (32-25), 11:35 AM.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 2-0.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Anthony Banda (5-3, 4.70) at RHP Rob Whalen (0-3, 5.33).
Banda is considered to be the Arizona Diamondbacks top pitching prospect. He sometimes battles control problems.
Hot Rainiers: Leonys Martin was ejected in the first inning, which ended his five-game hitting streak. He had hit safely in 19 of his last 22 games… Zach Shank is 19-for-54 with 11 RBI over his last 14 games.
Look Out For: Ildemaro Vargas has back-to-back four-hit games, and is 8-for-10 in this series with six runs scored and seven RBI. He hit .475 (19-40) against Tacoma last year… Jack Reinheimer has a nine-game hitting streak… ex-Rainiers infielder Ketel Marte has homered in four of the last six games… Oswaldo Arcia has a seven-game hitting streak with four homers during it… Christian Walker leads the PCL with 16 home runs. He’s hit 12 of the 16 at home in Reno.
Local Guys and Ex-Rainiers: Ketel Marte was traded with Taijuan Walker to the Diamondbacks for Jean Segura and Mitch Haniger. Still a riveting trade, eh? Let’s not even bother trying to decide who won the deal until at least 2022… Carlos Rivero played for Tacoma in 2015… Hank Conger grew up in Federal Way but moved to southern California before high school.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 11:20 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
Triple-A All-Star Game: We’re hosting it at Cheney Stadium on July 12, and fan balloting is live now – go here and vote for who you want to see.
- TJ Cotterill has the full report on Felix Hernandez‘s return to Tacoma. The link includes video of his post game presser.
- The Seattle Times was on hand to cover Felix’s rehab outing.
- The surging Mariners blasted the Minnesota Twins, 12-3, and are now only one game under .500. Three takeaways from the game.
- There are reports that the Mariners are close to inking shortstop Jean Segura to a five-year contract extension, buying out his final year of arbitration and first four years of free agency.
- Other injured Mariners are returning to health, starting with pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma.
PCL Game Reports:
- Doug Fister pitched well in his Salt Lake debut, and the Bees scored twice in the bottom of the ninth to beat Las Vegas, 2-1.
- Mike Hauschild pitched six shutout innings and Preston Tucker launched a three-run homer to help Fresno take down Sacramento, 5-2.
- Albuquerque shortstop Daniel Castro had three hits in a 9-6 win over El Paso.
- Nashville got to Royals prospect Josh Staumont in a 7-3 win at Omaha.
- Iowa’s Jacob Hanneman had a big game at the plate, but the Cubs lost to Oklahoma City in ten innings, 7-5.
- Olympia’s favorite Baby Cake Adam Conley pitched seven strong innings as New Orleans downed Memphis, 6-4.
- Colorado Springs outscored Round Rock, 12-8. The local paper has a story on the Sky Sox curious use of top pitching prospect Josh Hader.