Early action today!
Yesterday: The Rainiers scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning and cruised to an 8-0 series-opening win on Tuesday night. Tyler Cloyd, Nick Hagadone, Ryne Harper, and Mark Lowe combined on a six-hit shutout. Tacoma’s Dan Vogelbach and Tyler Smith hit homers.
Today: Fresno (18-28) at Tacoma (28-16), 11:35 AM.
Opponent Affiliation: Houston Astros.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Trent Thornton (1-2, 5.91) at LHP Dillon Overton (1-0, 8.44).
Look for Kyle Hunter to “piggy back” with Overton, who has not settled into a starting pitcher’s routine at any point yet this season.
Hot Rainiers: Mike Freeman has an 11-game hitting streak in the PCL, which is active even though before last night he hadn’t played in the league since May 4… Dario Pizzano has a four-game hitting streak and is batting .306 with four homers in May… reliever Ryne Harper hasn’t allowed a run over his last seven appearances, covering 8.2 innings pitched… Mark Lowe has gone six appearances without allowing a run, spanning 6.1 IP – and also his velocity seems to have picked up a little bit.
Look Out For: Outfielder Derek Fisher is considered the top prospect among the position players on the club; he’s hitting .320 with ten homers… first baseman A.J. Reed was touted as a top prospect entering the 2016 season but fell off; he’s performing better in the PCL this year.
Local Guys and Ex-Rainiers: Casey Coleman was a productive reliever for Tacoma last year; he’s in Fresno’s starting rotation right now… reliever Aaron West was drafted out of the University of Washington in 2012, he’s a product of Snohomish High School.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 11:20 AM on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers recap on the team website focuses on Dan Vogelbach‘s big night.
- The Mariners got crushed by the Washington Nationals, 10-1, for their fourth straight loss. Three takeaways from the game.
- At least the Mariners got some positive news on the medical front.
- Mike Zunino is following some new rules at the plate. He homered in his return to the team.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno topped Iowa, 2-1, to stay one game behind Tacoma. The Des Moines Register story focuses on Cubs prospect Jeimer Candelario.
- Fun stuff in Colorado Springs: the Sky Sox turned a triple play, yet lost to New Orleans because of defensive mistakes.
- Rehabbing Texas Rangers starter Tyson Ross pitched five shutout innings in Round Rock’s 14-3 blowout of Las Vegas. Cesar Puello homered twice.
- Nashville’s Daniel Mengden pitched seven shutout innings in a 10-0 whitewashing of Omaha.
- Salt Lake got hammered by El Paso, 14-5. The Salt Lake Tribune has a feature on former Rainiers outfielder Ramon Flores.
- Oklahoma City catcher Bobby Wilson hit a go-ahead grand slam in the top of the eighth inning to give the Dodgers an 8-6 win at Albuquerque.
- Rehabilitating Aaron Hill tripled, homered, and drove in three runs to help Sacramento beat Memphis, 6-2.