Yesterday: We waited as long as we reasonably could, but the rain just didn’t stop. Doubleheader today! Two seven-inning games.
Roster Moves: Yesterday the Rainiers added pitchers Tyler Cloyd and Casey Lawrence to the roster, sent Michael Rivera to extended spring training, and Ryan Weber was called up by Seattle to pitch today. The M’s designated Jean Machi for assignment.
Today: Round Rock (14-20) at Tacoma (21-11), doubleheader, 5:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Round Rock.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 1-0.
- G1: RHP Tyler Wagner (0-3, 8.16) at RHP Rob Whalen (0-0, 4.50).
- G2: RHP Dillon Gee (1-3, 4.36) at RHP Tyler Cloyd (-).
Hot Rainiers: D.J. Peterson has hit safely in four straight games… Dario Pizzano is 6-for-15 with three doubles and a homer during a four-game hitting streak, and he’s 9-for-27 over his last eight games… Seth Mejias-Brean has hit safely in seven of his first eight games for Tacoma, with four multiple-hit games… Dan Vogelbach has reached base in 22 straight PCL games.
Look Out For: 21-year-old first baseman Ronald Guzman is considered the top prospect on the club; he’s hit safely in seven of his last eight games… PCL slugger Jared Hoying is a notorious streak hitter; he homered five times during an eight-game stretch at the end of April but has not gone deep since 4/30… long considered a top prospect before a series of injuries waylaid his career, Jurickson Profar hit his first homer of the season Thursday night.
Local Guys and Ex-Rainiers: Travis Snider was a first round draft pick in 2006 out of Jackson high School in Mill Creek… Josh Wilson played for Tacoma briefly in both 2009 and 2010… the Express coaching staff includes former Mariners third baseman Jim Presley as hitting coach, and ex-Mariners lefty Greg Hibbard as pitching coach.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Suddenly the Mariners are having trouble scoring. They got shut out in Toronto on Friday, 4-0. Three takeaways from the game.
- Hisashi Iwakuma is going to be out four-to-six weeks with shoulder inflammation.
- Bob Dutton explains why Jean Machi was designated for assignment despite pitching well.
- Baseball America has a Q&A with the man behind local academy Driveline Baseball, which is trying to use technological advances to make players better.
- Reno gobbled up the Baby Cakes, 9-4. The Aces had 16 hits.
- Salt Lake overcame a five-run deficit and outscored Iowa, 13-11.
- El Paso’s five-run fifth inning catapulted the Chihuahuas to a 7-4 win at Memphis. Jabari Blash hit a three-run homer.
- Daniel Gossett pitched Nashville to a 3-1 win over Albuquerque.
- Oklahoma City’s Justin Masterson had another strong start in a 5-2 win over Fresno. He’s looking like a nice comeback story – Masterson is 3-1, 1.91 in seven starts and hasn’t been in the big leagues since 2015 with Boston.
- Paolo Espino – a 30-year-old from Panama – continued his strong season by pitching Colorado Springs to a 4-1 win over visiting Sacramento.
- Omaha whacked Las Vegas, 8-3, and the 51s have lost eight of their last ten games. Manager Pedro Lopez called the dreaded team meeting.