The Rainiers picked up a 7-5 win on Sunday afternoon, improving to 18-11 on the year and remaining in a first place tie with Reno. The team did this despite even more roster moves.
Tacoma has now had at least one roster move every day for six straight days – and we’ll surely make it seven today, because Mike Zunino and Emilio Pagan are expected to report.
Over the past six days, 25 roster moves have been made. It’s a whirlwind of new faces in the locker room – I don’t even recognize about a quarter of the players.
The list is ridiculous – I copied-and-pasted it; I’m not typing all of this. First location is “To” and second location is “From.”
5/2 DELETE RHP JEAN MACHI SEATTLE TACOMA
5/2 DELETE RHP EMILIO PAGAN SEATTLE TACOMA
5/2 ADD INF DANIEL VOGELBACH TACOMA SEATTLE
5/2 ADD INF SETH MEJIAS-BREAN TACOMA LOUISVILLE (CIN-AAA)
5/2 ADD LHP LANE RATLIFF TACOMA AZL EXTENDED
5/2 ADD LHP PAUL PAEZ TACOMA AZL EXTENDED
5/3 DELETE INF JOSEPH ROSA AZL EXTENDED TACOMA
5/3 ADD RHP CASEY FIEN TACOMA SEATTLE
5/4 ADD OF BOOG POWELL TACOMA SEATTLE
5/5 ADD C ALEXANDER CAPRIATA TACOMA AZL EXTENDED
5/5 DELETE INF MIKE FREEMAN SEATTLE TACOMA
5/5 DELETE RHP EVAN MARSHALL SEATTLE TACOMA
5/5 DELETE C TUFFY GOSEWISCH SEATTLE TACOMA
5/5 ADD C MIKE ZUNINO TACOMA SEATTLE
5/6 DELETE RHP DAN ALTAVILLA SEATTLE TACOMA
5/6 DELETE RHP ROB WHALEN SEATTLE TACOMA
5/6 ADD RHP EMILIO PAGAN TACOMA SEATTLE
5/6 DELETE LHP LANE RATLIFF AZL EXTENDED TACOMA
5/6 ADD RHP MICHAEL RIVERA TACOMA AZL EXTENDED
5/6 ADD RHP NATHAN BANNISTER TACOMA MODESTO
5/7 DELETE RHP NATHAN BANNISTER MODESTO TACOMA
5/7 ADD RHP ROB WHALEN TACOMA SEATTLE
5/7 ADD LHP MICHAEL SUAREZ TACOMA AZL EXTENDED
5/7 ADD LHP KYLE HUNTER TACOMA ARKANSAS
5/7 DELETE RHP CHRISTIAN BERGMAN SEATTLE TACOMA
Can’t tell the players without a program – as long as that program was printed in the last 15 minutes!
Yesterday: Tyler Smith had his biggest game of the season on Sunday afternoon. The Rainiers shortstop went 3-for-4 with a double and a go-ahead two-run homer, finishing with three runs batted in, as the Rainiers beat New Orleans, 7-5. Ryne Harper recorded the final four outs from the bullpen to blow out the candles on the Baby Cakes and earn his first Triple-A save.
Roster Moves: Before yesterday’s game the Rainiers added reliever Kyle Hunter from Double-A Arkansas, and he pitched two solid innings in the game. The team also added pitcher Michael Suarez from extended spring training, and sent Nathan Bannister back to Class-A Modesto where he will rejoin their starting rotation.
Today: New Orleans (11-19) at Tacoma (18-11), 6:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Miami Marlins.
Season Series: Tied, 1-1.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Stephen Fife (1-1, 5.70) at RHP Ryan Weber (1-0, 1.09).
Hot Rainiers: Tyler O’Neill might be heating up? He’s 5-for-16 over his last four games, and his at-bats have looked a little better… Dario Pizzano went 5-for-12 with three doubles and a homer in the Las Vegas series, and he’s 8-for-24 over his last seven games… Dan Vogelbach has reached base in 20 straight PCL games… Steven Baron has reached base in eight straight games.
Look Out For: Brandon Barnes has a six-game hitting streak and is 4-for-8 in this series… second-year New Orleans outfielder Destin Hood is the prime source of power on the roster… Moises Sierra has six RBI in his last four games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Lots of Rainiers coverage in The News Tribune. We have a game story with quotes and notes, and a notebook which leads with an item on new infielder Seth Mejias-Brean, but also graces us with manager Pat Listach‘s opinion of the New Orleans Baby Cakes name.
- The Mariners had a big comeback win on Sunday, beating Texas 4-3 on Kyle Seager‘s go-ahead home run. After all that has happened, they are only two games under .500. Three takeaways from the game.
- A pickoff play at second base was key for Dillon Overton and the Mariners, John McGrath writes.
- We learn from the Mariners Notebook that Hisashi Iwakuma is being pushed back in the starting rotation.
- Reno rallied against Sacramento’s bullpen to win at Raley Field, 6-5. The Aces are tied with Tacoma atop the Pacific-North.
- Albuquerque edged Las Vegas, 5-3.
- Omaha’s Christian Binford shut down Salt Lake for seven innings in a 6-1 victory.
- Colorado Springs continued the best start in franchise history by beating Fresno, 7-3, behind the pitching of Brandon Woodruff.
- El Paso picked up a 3-2 win at Nashville, but the Chihuahuas no longer have slugger Jamie Romak who was sold to play in Korea.
- The Iowa Cubs activated top prospect Ian Happ from the disabled list, then went out and lost to Luke Weaver and Memphis, 10-1.
- Oklahoma City won in Round Rock, 6-2.