Short blog from the Vegas airport today – we take an early flight home, and then have an early start time at 5:05.
The Rainiers welcome the newly named New Orleans Baby Cakes to Cheney Stadium for a four-game series. It’s an eight-game homestand with a day off in the middle (Wednesday); the Round Rock Express come in for the second leg.
Tacoma missed its chance for a four-game road sweep at Las Vegas, dropping a 9-1 decision on Friday night. It was close for six innings, 2-1, but Travis Taijeron hit a three-run homer to make it 5-1, and Vegas kept tacking on.
Yesterday: Tacoma’s bid for a four-game road sweep at Vegas ended with a 9-1 loss. Travis Taijeron’s three-run homer off Mark Lowe in the sixth inning swung the game in favor of Vegas. Tacoma starter Chris Heston battled a blister problem which effected his control.
Roster Moves: One more happened yesterday after the blog went up: the Mariners optioned Mike Zunino to Tacoma, and called up Tuffy Gosewisch. We should lose more pitchers today, with Mariners relievers Jean Machi and Evan Marshall each getting injured in an extra-innings game last night.
Today: New Orleans (10-18) at Tacoma (17-10), 5:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Miami Marlins.
Season Series: 0-0.
Starting Pitchers: TBA at RHP Nathan Bannister (0-0, 0.00).
New Orleans scheduled starter Odrisamer Despaigne was called up by the Marlins yesterday.
Bannister will make his Triple-A debut for the Rainiers, filling in for Rob Whalen who was scratched because of the injuries in Seattle. Bannister is 2-1, 5.66 in five starts for Advanced-A Modesto.
Hot Rainiers: Dario Pizzano went 5-for-12 with three doubles and a homer in the Las Vegas series, and he’s 8-for-24 over his last seven games… Dan Vogelbach has a ten-game PCL hitting streak… new guy Seth Mejias-Brean had two hits in each of his first four games for Tacoma, making a heck of a first impression.
Look Out For: Infielder Steve Lombardozzi has reached base safely in 12 straight games… second-year New Orleans outfielder Destin Hood is the prime source of power on the roster… scouts like infielder J.T. Riddle, who during a recent call-up hit his first big league homer – a walk-off shot against the Mets.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The game story from the Las Vegas paper focuses on starting pitcher Tyler Pill, who had a terrific outing.
- The Mariners lost to Texas in the 13th inning on a homer by Roughned Odor. Three takeaways from the game.
- James Paxton has landed on the disabled list. Hopefully it will be a short stay this year. Christian Bergman will be called up to take his place.
- The Mariners Class-A Clinton affiliate had its game against South Bend last night suspended this morning due to league curfew with the score tied 6-6 after 18 innings.
- Reno completed a four-game sweep of the Salt Lake Bees with a 9-7 win on Friday, and the Aces moved into a first-place tie with Tacoma.
- Six Albuquerque pitchers combined to hold El Paso to two hits in a 5-2 Isotopes victory.
- Trent Thornton tossed six scoreless innings in Fresno’s 5-1 win over Sacramento.
- Iowa limited the Baby Cakes to six hits in a 7-1 win in New Orleans.
- Memphis starter Arturo Reyes tossed eight scoreless innings in a 4-2 win at Omaha. The Redbirds finished a four-game series sweep.
- Colorado Springs mashed 21 hits in a 15-3 road win over Oklahoma City.
- Round Rock topped Nashville in ten innings, 4-3, on a walk-off double by Jurickson Profar.
It’s Throwback Weekend – remember to come early if you want one of the free hats, first 1,000 fans through the gates get ’em.