Rise and shine! It’s morning baseball in Las Vegas!
Yesterday: Christian Bergman did it again, allowing two runs over six innings and earning his PCL-leading fifth win of the year as the Rainiers won the series opener in Las Vegas, 5-2. Mike Freeman had a pair of two-out RBI singles, Zach Shank hit a two-run homer, and Dario Pizzano hit a solo shot. Reliever Dan Altavilla had his best outing for Tacoma, with two perfect innings, and Dean Kiekhefer nailed down the save.
Roster Moves: The following moves occurred prior to yesterday’s game:
- The Mariners called up relievers Emilio Pagan and Jean Machi
- Seattle optioned Dan Vogelbach to Tacoma
- Reliever Casey Fien was designated for assignment
- Seattle somehow acquired infielder Seth Mejias-Brean from the Reds and assigned him to Tacoma
- Tacoma added relievers Paul Paez and Lane Ratliff from extended spring training.
Today: Tacoma (15-9) at Las Vegas (13-13), 10:35.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Ryan Weber (1-0, 0.48) at RHP Ricky Knapp (1-2, 5.47).
Hot Rainiers: Mike Freeman has an eight-game hitting streak in the PCL (he spent a couple of weeks in the majors in the middle of it)… Tuffy Gosewish has reached base in nine straight games… when Dan Vogelbach arrives he’ll pick up an eight-game PCL hitting streak.
Look Out For: Shortstop Amed Rosario is ranked by ESPN as the No. 1 prospect in all of minor league baseball. He has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games, but the 21-year-old has been error prone… Dominic Smith is also just 21, and he has a dozen multiple-hit games already… Travis Taijeron in a third-year Las Vegas player who is always dangerous in his home park.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 10:20 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Betsy Helfand of the Las Vegas Review Journal has a report on last night’s game, and an article on rehabilitating Mets Wilmer Flores and Brandon Nimmo.
- The Mariners lost to the Angels in extra innings, 6-4.
That’s all I have time for on the links, gotta go to the park. Oh, Reno won last night, so they’re still one game behind Tacoma in the standings.