No time, super early game today, let’s get to it. Rainiers need a win today to finish with a 4-4 record on this road trip. It’s cloudy here and rain is in the forecast throughout the day.
Yesterday: We got our high-scoring game, and it wasn’t a lot of fun. Albuquerque scored five runs in the first inning, went ahead 8-1 in the third, and won the game 12-8. The teams combined for 33 hits. Boog Powell went 4-for-5, and Tyler O’Neill hit two doubles and a homer.
Roster Moves: Before yesterday’s game infielder Mike Freeman was optioned to Tacoma, pitcher Chase De Jong reported, and pitcher Brett Ash was transferred to Double-A Arkansas. And we solved the mystery of the missing reliever Jonathan Aro: he has been suspended 50 games by the Commissioner’s Office for an unspecified violation of the Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. I’m not sure if it’s retroactive to opening day.
Today: Tacoma (10-8) at Albuquerque (9-10), 10:05 AM (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Colorado Rockies.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 4-2.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Dillon Overton (1-0, 8.44) at LHP Ryan Carpenter (1-1, 3.18).
Tacoma is using Ryan Weber to follow Overton, who is cleared for roughly 70-75 pitches. Carpenter is filling in for top prospect German Marquez, who got called up by the Rockies.
Hot Rainiers: Ben Gamel has a six-game hitting streak, and he has reached base in 16 straight games… Tyler Smith has a seven-game hitting streak, and he’s 14-for-38 over his last ten games… Boog Powell has been on base 14 times over the last five games.
Look Out For: Noel Cuevas has a ten-game hitting streak, and he’s 11-for-19 against left-handed pitchers… Raimel Tapia is 6-for-15 in this series, and Daniel Castro is 6-for-11 in the series.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 9:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- It’s bad when the headline to the Rainiers game story in the local paper is “Isotopes Score Early, Often.”
- The Mariners were off yesterday, but Bob Dutton has his notebook with several interesting items.
- Reno massacred the Chihuahuas on Monday, 12-1.
- Sacramento lost Christian Arroyo to the big leagues and then lost the game to Las Vegas, 7-6.
- Salt Lake connected for 19 hits and won in Fresno, 12-9.
- Ex-Rainiers infielder Josh Wilson was one of many Round Rock players to have a good night in a 9-2 win over Iowa.
- Colorado Springs starter Brandon Woodruff delivered six shutout innings in an 8-3 win over Nashville, and he’s the first four-game winner in the PCL (4-0, 1.61).
- Justin Masterson pitched seven innings of one-hit, shutout ball in Oklahoma City’s 3-0 win over Memphis.
- New Orleans used a three-run homer by Moises Sierra to beat Omaha, 4-1.