The first two games of Tacoma’s series at mile-high Isotopes Park have been surprisingly low scoring, and the trend may continue tonight.
On Saturday there were extreme winds blowing in from right field, making hitting difficult. Tacoma won that game, 5-3, on a four-run rally which was spurred by walks.
Yesterday was a calm day, and there were even some breezes blowing out to left field. But strong pitching by Sam Gaviglio and Albuquerque’s Zach Jemiola kept the runs at bay, and the Isotopes won 3-2.
Tonight the weather report calls for more strong winds. If the wind is coming in from right field again, we could have another low scoring game.
Yesterday: Tacoma’s three-game win streak came to a halt with a 3-2 loss in Albuquerque on Sunday afternoon. Anthony Bemboom tripled and scored the go-ahead run in the seventh on Raimel Tapia‘s infield dribbler. Sam Gaviglio had another hard-luck loss, pitching well into the seventh inning.
Roster Moves: Yesterday the Mariners called up Dan Vogelbach and Chris Heston, optioned Chase De Jong to Tacoma, and designated Leonys Martin for assignment. If Martin clears waivers – a dubious proposition – he’ll be outrighted to Tacoma.
Today: Tacoma (10-7) at Albuquerque (8-10), 5:35 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Colorado Rockies.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 4-1.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Rafael Pineda (-) at LHP Harrison Musgrave (0-1, 5.40).
This was supposed to be Chris Heston’s start, but since he was called up it’s now a bullpen day. Pineda will be making the fourth start of his career and first above the Class-A level. He has not pitched in a game in 2017.
Hot Rainiers: Ben Gamel has a five-game hitting streak, and he has reached base in 15 straight games… Tyler Smith has a six-game hitting streak, and he’s 12-for-32 (.375) over his last nine games… Boog Powell has been on base ten times over the last four games.
Look Out For: Noel Cuevas has an nine-game hitting streak, and he’s 10-for-18 against left-handed pitchers.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:20 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We’ll start with a recap of yesterday’s Rainiers game.
- The Mariners whacked the A’s on Sunday, 11-1, as Taylor Motter hit a grand slam. Three takeaways from the game.
- The surprising roster moves are the subject of the Mariners Notebook.
- John McGrath has a column on the Leonys Martin era.
- A three-run homer by Fresno’s Colin Moran helped end Salt Lake’s eight-game winning streak. Fresno won the game, 5-2.
- Sacramento ended it’s eight-game losing streak with a 7-6 win over Las Vegas, as Christian Arroyo‘s fourth hit of the game was the winner. The paper has an article on ex-Rainier Michael Morse, who is currently with Sacramento.
- Reno’s Anthony Banda struck out eleven Chihuahuas in a 4-3 win at El Paso.
- Colorado Springs staved off a ferocious Nashville rally and won 6-5 on Sunday. The Sky Sox took a 6-0 lead into the ninth. Sonny Gray is rehabbing for Nashville later this week.
- Oklahoma City lost another close game at home, this one a 4-3 decision against Memphis. The paper has an article on Justin Masterson‘s comeback bid.
- Omaha starter Josh Staumont says a strong wind in New Orleans helped him toss five innings of one-hit ball in a 4-2 victory.
- In the game of the day, Round Rock blew a 5-0 lead in the ninth to visiting Iowa and went to extra innings. Each team scored two runs in the tenth, with the Express getting a pinch-hit two-run homer from Jared Hoying. Travis Snider‘s RBI double gave Round Rock an 8-7 win in the 13th inning.
The road trip will end with an early game on Tuesday – 10:05 AM first pitch!