The PCL home run leader got the Rainiers with a cheapie last night, setting the stage for Reno’s 12-3 win over Tacoma.
Kyle Jensen has hit 30 home runs and driven in 117 runs this season. I’m sure many of his home runs have been bombs.
But last night, with two on in the bottom of the first inning, Jensen lifted a fly ball down the right field line. The twisting, wind-blown opposite field fly banged off the foul pole in the corner for a three-run homer, giving Reno a 4-0 lead. The Aces led comfortably the rest of the way.
Tacoma has a 3.5-game lead with ten to play. A split of these last two games in Reno would be a big step in the right direction.
Somehow, the Rainiers have to stop Reno from scoring. The Aces have scored 36 runs on 45 hits over the first three games of the series.
The Aces have joined Fresno in the ranks of teams that are sound effects crazy.
After every pitch at Greater Nevada Field, they play some stupid sound effect on the PA system. A clang of a bell, a fart noise, “sit down in your seat,” the crying baby, and on and on and on.
It gets so tedious. I think they even stopped doing this in A-ball.
They also selected a walk-up song for each Tacoma batter, presumably in a mocking fashion. But sometimes it backfires – for example, we get to hear Elton John‘s best slow song every time Daniel Robertson hits. I haven’t asked D-Rob about it, but it looks like he’s enjoying it too, taking his time getting settled in at the plate.
Yesterday: Reno scored early and often in a 12-3 win over Tacoma on Friday night. The Rainiers have lost three straight games, and ten of the last 16. Stefen Romero went 3-for-5 with a triple and a homer.
‘Magic Number’: Seven. That’s the total number of Tacoma wins + Reno losses needed for the Rainiers to clinch the Pacific-North division title.
Roster Moves: The Mariners optioned Mike Freeman and Nori Aoki to Tacoma, placed Tom Wilhelmsen on the disabled list, and called up Dae-Ho Lee and Pat Venditte. They also called up reliever Dan Altavilla from Double-A Jackson.
Today: Tacoma (75-58-1) at Reno (72-62), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 8-2.
Reno has won five of the six games played this year at Greater Nevada Field, and the Rainiers are 17-45 all-time in this ballpark.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Jarrett Grube (1-4, 3.94) at RHP Matt Buschmann (8-10, 5.33)
Hot Rainiers: Daniel Robertson had his eight-game hitting streak end last night. He is hitting .346 since the all-star break… Stefen Romero has hit safely in his last eight PCL games, with three home runs…Tyler Smith is batting .315 in August… James Ramsey has gone 7-for-15 over his last four games.
Look Out For: Everybody.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story includes reaction from manager Pat Listach.
- Felix Hernandez out-dueled Chris Sale and the Mariners earned a 3-1 win over the White Sox on Friday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook explains the latest round of roster moves, and suggests Kyle Seager may return to action today.
- John Sickels reviewed his preseason list of Mariners top prospects, to see how they are doing.
PCL Game Reports:
- Congratulations to the Nashville Sounds, who are the first PCL team to clinch a playoff spot. The Sounds locked up their first postseason appearance since 2007 with a 5-3 win at Memphis.
- El Paso took a big step toward clinching the Pacific-South with a 10-4 win at Albuquerque. They lead by 5.5 games.
- Las Vegas had a big game at the plate in an 11-7 win over Salt Lake.
- Ty Blach pitched seven shutout innings and earned his PCL-leading 14th win in a 3-0 victory at Fresno.
- The Iowa Cubs turned a key double play to seal a 6-5 win over Omaha.
- Drew Robinson‘s home run lifted Round Rock to a 4-2 win at New Orleans.
- Colorado Springs at Oklahoma City got rained out; they are playing two today.
Rainiers need a win – hopefully today is the day!