The first two games of this five-day jaunt to Reno have been a disaster for Tacoma.
The Aces have simply obliterated Tacoma pitching, scoring 24 runs on 30 hits in a pair of blowout wins.
It’s reached a point in which any time a Rainiers pitcher throws a scoreless inning, it feels like a massive achievement. Tacoma has pitched only three scoreless frames in the first 18 innings here.
The offense is getting hits, but not scoring runs. In each of the two games Tacoma has scored early, and then gotten shut down for the remainder of the game.
Somehow the Rainiers need to win a game here. Scoring 15+ runs is probably the best way to do it. We need an offensive eruption.
Yesterday: Once again, Reno scored at will and trounced the Rainiers, this time by a score of 11-5. Tacoma had 14 hits in the loss.
‘Magic Number’: Seven. That’s the total number of Tacoma wins + Reno losses needed for the Rainiers to clinch the Pacific-North division title.
Today: Tacoma (75-57-1) at Reno (71-62), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Reno leads, 7-2.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Joe Wieland (12-5, 5.25) at RHP Billy Buckner (0-0, 9.00)
Hot Rainiers: Daniel Robertson is 15-for-34 over an eight-game hitting streak, and he is hitting .358 since the all-star break… Stefen Romero has hit safely in his last seven PCL games, with two home runs…Dae-Ho Lee has at least one hit in all six games he has played in, and he has homered twice… Tyler Smith is batting .306 in August.
Look Out For: Kyle Jensen leads the PCL in home runs (29) and RBI (113), and he’s on a nine-game hitting streak right now…Socrates Brito also has a nine-game hitting streak… Carlos Rivero hit three doubles last night, and he has hit four homers in his past nine games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story, which includes an update on D.J. Peterson‘s injury.
- The Mariners let one get away in Chicago.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook covers the Mike Freeman call-up and more.
- Are Kyle and Corey Seager having the best brothers season ever?
PCL Game Reports
- Fresno missed a chance to gain on Tacoma by dropping a 12-10 decision to Sacramento. The Fresno paper has a feature on hot-hitting outfielder Jon Kemmer.
- Albuquerque shut out El Paso, 3-0, to pull within 4.5 games of first place. Isotopes outfielder Stephen Cardullo got called up by the Rockies.
- Salt Lake and Las Vegas split a doubleheader.
- Nashville missed a chance to clinch the American-South by blowing a ninth inning lead in Memphis.
- Hiram Burgos pitched Colorado Springs to a 5-0 win at Oklahoma City.
- Round Rock scored four runs in the first inning and cruised to a 5-2 win at New Orleans.
- Omaha hammered Iowa, 8-1.