Tonight the Rainiers wrap up the series at Nashville’s First Tennessee Park, needing a win to get a series split.
This was Tacoma’s first trip to the PCL’s newest ballpark, which opened in April of 2015. Here are some pictures – click on any photo to expand it:
Yesterday: Taijuan Walker tossed 6.1 shutout innings, Dan Vogelbach hit a monster home run, and the Rainiers took a 6-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth. Then things got really scary, but they held on for a 6-4 victory. The Rainiers need a win tonight to get out of Music City with a series split.
‘Magic Number’: 14. That’s the total number of Tacoma wins + Fresno losses needed for the Rainiers to clinch the Pacific-North division title (without resorting to tiebreakers).
Roster Moves: Tacoma has added reliever Isaac Sanchez from Hi-A Bakersfield, where he posted a 2.97 ERA in 34 games. Sanchez had 73 strikeouts in 63 IP.
Today: Tacoma (72-53-1) at Nashville (72-54), 5:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Oakland A’s.
Season Series: Nashville leads, 2-1.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Zach Lee (0-6, 5.57) at RHP Raul Alcantara (3-0, 0.59)
Hot Rainiers: Dan Vogelbach is 8-for-22 with four doubles, a homer, and four walks in the last six games… Mike Freeman has hit safely in 12 of 13 games for Tacoma… Daniel Robertson reached base four times last night, and he is hitting .337 since the all-star break.
Look Out For: Jaycob Brugman had his ten-game hitting streak end last night, but he has reached base safely in 19 straight games… Arismendy Alcantara has reached base via hit or walk in 14 straight games, and he’s hitting .345 since the all-star break.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story covers Taijuan Walker‘s start, Dan Vogelbach‘s bomb, and the near-meltdown in the ninth.
- The Mariners bid to win a four-game series on the road ended with a 6-4 loss to the Angels. Splittsville.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook tells us the team’s ownership change was officially approved, and notes that James Paxton should be starting for Tacoma tomorrow.
PCL Game Reports:
- Fresno moved back into second place by beating Omaha in 11 innings, 2-1. Colin Moran had the walk-off RBI single. A massive crowd of 14,651 attended and consumed “an estimated 25,000 tacos” at the annual Taco Truck Throwdown game. Also, the paper has a feature on Cuban star Yulieski Gurriel.
- Memphis utilityman Alex Mejia hit a bases loaded triple in the eighth inning, leading to a 6-4 win over Reno. The Aces fell to 5.5 games behind Tacoma.
- Michael Conforto hit two doubles to help Las Vegas to an 8-6 win over Round Rock.
- Colorado Springs hammered El Paso, 13-5, and the Chihuahuas are just 4-13 in August – yet still lead the Pac-South by seven games.
- Albuquerque remains red-hot: the Isotopes beat Oklahoma City, 5-2, and have won ten of the last 12 games. Albuquerque does have nine games left against El Paso, so if they can stay hot…
- New Orleans shut out Salt Lake, 2-0. Asher W. led the way on the mound for the Zephyrs.
- Former Mariners infielder Munenori Kawasaki hit his first minor league home run in Iowa’s 4-3 win at Sacramento.