There was a swing in the division standings last night, and a new team is in second place chasing the Rainiers.
Reno swept a doubleheader at Memphis, jumping past Fresno into second place in the division. Reno is 4.5 games behind Tacoma.
Fresno, meanwhile, lost its fifth in a row – all at home. The Grizzlies are five games back.
It seems that Reno is more of a threat to Tacoma right now, primarily because of the schedule. Tacoma and Reno still have nine games left against one another, including a five-game series in Reno where the Rainiers have not historically played well.
The Rainiers can take care of the division simply by playing well, but still it would be nice if Memphis could give us a hand and take down Reno in the final two games of that series.
Yesterday: The Rainiers were held to just five hits in a 5-2 loss at Nashville. Joey Wendle’s three-run homer in the sixth inning put the Sounds out in front. Tacoma has just nine hits and three runs over the first two games of this series.
‘Magic Number’: 15. That’s the total number of Tacoma wins + Reno losses needed for the Rainiers to clinch the Pacific-North division title (without resorting to tiebreakers).
Roster Moves: It’s time for some rehabilitating Mariners relievers to help the Tacoma bullpen: Tony Zych is supposed to pitch an inning tonight, and Evan Scribner is expected to work tomorrow.
Today: Tacoma (71-53-1) at Nashville (72-53), 5:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Oakland A’s.
Season Series: Nashville leads, 2-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Taijuan Walker (0-0, 6.23) at RHP Daniel Mengden (6-1, 1.34)
Hot Rainiers: Stefen Romero is 6-for-12 with two doubles and a homer over his last three games, but has missed the last three games with a stiff back… Dan Vogelbach is 6-for-19 with three doubles and three walks in the last five games.
Look Out For: Jaycob Brugman has a ten-game hitting streak, and he has reached base safely in 18 straight games… Arismendy Alcantara has reached base via hit or walk in 13 straight games, and he’s hitting .342 since the all-star break.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story covers the Joey Wendle go-ahead home run.
- The Mariners had a dramatic win against the Angels last night, with Kyle Seager making a game-saving play at third base to end it.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook reveals that we may have a James Paxton rehab start at Cheney Stadium this weekend.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno surged past Fresno into second place with a doubleheader sweep at Memphis.
- Fresno dropped its fifth straight game, a 4-3 decision to Omaha. Meet the guy who invented the Fresno Tacos – this is a good story.
- Iowa scored six runs in one inning and held on to beat Sacramento, 8-7.
- El Paso had a good day, winning in Colorado Springs while each of the three other teams in the Pacific-South lost. The Chihuahuas have an eight game lead.
- Oklahoma City’s Corey Brown hit a walk-off homer to beat Albuquerque, 3-2.
- Xavier Scruggs homered twice to help New Orleans beat Salt Lake, 4-3.
- The day after ending an eight-game losing streak, Las Vegas blew a ninth inning lead and lost to Round Rock, 10-8.