Early game today!
Yesterday: Nashville scored two runs in the bottom of the first inning, and that was enough to earn a 2-1 win over Tacoma. The teams combined for just seven hits – four by Tacoma. After a rough first inning, Tacoma starter Forrest Snow retired 15 straight batters.
‘Magic Number’: 16. That’s the total number of Tacoma wins + Fresno losses needed for the Rainiers to clinch the Pacific-North division title (without resorting to tiebreakers). Should Reno pass Fresno and move into second place, we’ll have to recompute this.
Roster Moves: Tacoma added two catchers yesterday: Marcus Littlewood was promoted from Double-A Jackson, as was P.J. Jones. Jones, the Rainiers bullpen catcher who was activated and sent to AA a few days ago, remains active on Tacoma’s roster for now.
Today: Tacoma (71-52-1) at Nashville (71-53), 10:05 AM (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Oakland A’s.
Season Series: Nashville leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Jarrett Grube (1-2, 3.97) at LHP Dillon Overton (10-5, 3.51)
Hot Rainiers: Stefen Romero is 6-for-12 with two doubles and a homer over his last three games, but has missed the last two games with a stiff back… Dan Vogelbach has drawn at least one walk in 11 of the last 12 games… Mike Freeman went 0-for-4 yesterday, ending his ten-game Tacoma hitting streak.
Look Out For: Renato Nunez saw his 13-game hitting streak end last night… Jaycob Brugman has a nine-game hitting streak, and he has reached base safely in 17 straight games… Arismendy Alcantara has reached base via hit or walk in 12 straight games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 9:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- I made a typo when I sent in the the Rainiers game story last night – Listach said “sharp” not “smart” in the first quote.
- Seattle let one get away in the eighth inning to the Angels, 8-7. You knew that Angels losing streak was going to end eventually – they had lost 11 in a row.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook suggest Shawn O’Malley should start at shortstop for the time being, and has a look at the hottest Seager.
- John McGrath has a column on how the Mariners are winning.
- M’s reliever Edwin Diaz makes this list of the season’s best stories so far.
PCL Game Reports:
- How ’bout them Storm Chasers! Omaha scored nine runs in the fourth inning and beat Fresno, 12-5. Fresno remains five games behind Tacoma.
- Reno at Memphis was rained out. The Aces lost slugging outfielder Mitch Haniger to a major league call-up.
- Iowa managed to score a 5-1 win over PCL wins leader Ty Blach and Sacramento.
- Colorado Springs knocked 17 hits in an 11-3 win over struggling El Paso.
- Salt Lake took down New Orleans 9-3, and.. oh no, not again: the Salt Lake Tribune got the score wrong in the headline!
- Albuquerque made it nine wins in its last ten games with a 6-2 victory at Oklahoma City. Is it too late for the Isotopes?
- Round Rock and Las Vegas played deep into the night, before Brandon Nimmo ended it with a two-run homer in the bottom of the 12th inning. Vegas ended its eight-game losing streak with a 7-5 win. Great photo of the celebration in the story – kudos to the photographer who stuck it out for 12 innings to get the shot.
Off to the ballpark!