Early, long travel day. We’re coming home, 6:05 game tonight against Sacramento.
Yesterday: Tacoma had four key stars in a 7-5 win at El Paso: Daniel Robertson hit the second pitch of the game for a homer, James Ramsey went 3-for-3 with a homer and four RBI, Joe Wieland went 6.2 innings and allowed two runs while striking out ten, and Jesus Sucre had three hits including a big two-run triple. Tacoma won the road series, three games to one, and finished the season series with an 11-5 record against El Paso.
Roster Move: There will be more moves before Sunday’s game, but at blog publish time I don’t know what they are.
Today: Sacramento (53-62) at Tacoma (66-47-1), 6:05.
Opponent Affiliation: San Francisco Giants.
Season Series: Tied, 6-6.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Chris Stratton (8-5, 4.81) at RHP Zach Lee (0-4, 5.74)
Hot Rainiers: Zach Shank has hit safely in seven straight games, and he has walked eight times in his last 12 games, with one strikeout (39 at-bats)…Mike Freeman has multiple hits in each of his first four games with the team… James Ramsey went 5-for-7 with a homer and five RBI in his first two games with the team.
Look Out For: Veterans Travis Ishikawa and Chris Denorfia are hot. Ishikawa is 12-for-26 with five homers and 17 RBI in his last seven games. Denorfia has hit safely in seven straight games, going 11-for-23 with three homers.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here. It’s a Sunday home game, so Bob Robertson will join me in the booth and call the middle innings.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story revolves around Jesus Sucre‘s triple.
- My weekly minor league notebook for the paper covers the rapidly rise of Mariners pitching prospect Zach Littell.
- Shawn O’Malley led the Mariners to a come-from-behind 8-6 win over the Angels.
- The Mariners retired Ken Griffey Jr.’s number 24 in a pregame ceremony. We have a news story on the event, a column from Matt Calkins of the Times, a column from John McGrath of the TNT, and a video-style photo gallery.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook covers the bullpen acquisitions the team made yesterday.
- McGrath has his weekly MLB Power Rankings.
PCL Game Reports:
- Thank you, T.J. Rivera! The PCL’s batting average leader drove in five runs, including a two-run double in the eighth inning, to power Las Vegas to a 10-8 win over Fresno. Tacoma now leads the division by four games.
- Salt Lake had a seven-run inning during a 9-1 wipeout of Reno, and the Aces are now 6.5 games behind Tacoma.
- Albuquerque ended Sacramento’s six-game win streak with a 9-2 win on “Better Call Saul” night at Isotopes Park. Click this link for a truly fantastic picture if you are a fan of the show (or a fan of general ridiculousness).
- Iowa took down New Orleans, 6-1, and now the I-Cubs prepare for the arrival of Yasiel Puig in the visitor’s locker room.
- Drew Robinson homered in the 15th inning as Round Rock won at Oklahoma City, 5-4.
- Nashville escaped with a rain-shortened, six-inning 5-2 win at Colorado Springs.
- Memphis won a thriller against Omaha, 6-5. This game was wild during the eighth and ninth innings.