The Rainiers play their first doubleheader of the year today, with two seven-inning games against El Paso starting at 6:05.
It’s incredible that we have made it this long without playing a doubleheader. Today we are making up the April 12 game that was rained out.
As a refresher, here are some basics on the doubleheader:
- Gates open at 5:00, baseball starts at 6:05.
- One ticket gets you in for both games – we are not emptying the stadium between games.
- Each game will be seven innings long. This is a Minor League Baseball rule for all doubleheaders.
- There will be a break of roughly 25 minutes between games.
It’s going to be a long night of baseball. Most doubleheaders end up being splits – but not all of them. Maybe the Rainiers can get two wins tonight.
Yesterday: Tacoma had 15 hits (14 singles and one double) in an 11-1 win over El Paso last night. Dario Pizzano led the way, going 3-for-5 with two runs and three RBI. Joe Wieland lasted seven innings and allowed one run, and Paul Fry worked the final two innings – effectively preserving the pitching staff for today’s doubleheader.
Roster Move: Tacoma has added pitcher Robert Dugger from the Arizona Rookie League to provide some insurance for today’s doubleheader. Tacoma had an open roster spot.
Today: El Paso (59-45) at Tacoma (60-43-1), 6:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: San Diego Padres.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 6-3.
Game One: RHP Michael Kelly (5-1, 4.41) at RHP Zach Lee (0-2, 5.81)
Game Two: RHP Bryan Rodriguez (4-3, 4.83) at RHP Donn Roach (6-5, 4.01)
Hot Rainiers: Daniel Robertson has a six-game hitting streak… Guillermo Heredia has missed four games with a shoulder injury, he’s day-to-day. He has hit safely in 21 of 25 games since joining the Rainiers.
Look Out For: Manuel Margot had his 16-game hitting streak end last night… Hunter Renfroe leads the PCL with 25 home runs… catcher Austin Hedges went on an epic home run binge right before the all-star break, but his pace has slowed lately. Still, he has 15 homers in his last 33 games.
Ex-Rainiers: El Paso has popular ex-Rainiers slugger Jabari Blash, who made his major league debut with the San Diego Padres earlier this season… Brandon Morrow is working out of the El Paso bullpen.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story focuses on Dario Pizzano.
- The Mariners got worked over by Pittsburgh on Wednesday, 10-1. They are off today before starting the series at Wrigley on Friday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook suggests that we may see a Taijuan Walker rehabilitation start for the Rainiers on Monday.
PCL Game Reports:
- Catcher Dan Rohlfing homered twice as Reno beat Sacramento, 7-3. The Aces remain 3.5 games behind Tacoma.
- A Fresno pitcher got raked in his Triple-A debut, and Las Vegas beat the Grizzlies 6-3. Fresno is back to 4.5 games out of first.
- Salt Lake hammered Albuquerque, 11-6, and after the game the Isotopes went back to playing Pokemon. Many Rainiers players are addicted, too.
- Veteran utility infielder Doug Bernier hit for the first cycle in Round Rock Express history during a 6-5 loss to Omaha.
- Oakland A’s pitching prospect Raul Alcantara earned his first Triple-A win with seven shutout innings in Nashville’s 2-0 whitewashing of Colorado Springs.
- The Iowa Cubs scored early and often in an 8-2 win at New Orleans.
- Oklahoma City at Memphis got rained out.
Let’s do this doubleheader.