Happy Father’s Day!
Yesterday: Rainiers pitchers issued a season-high ten walks in a 4-3 loss to Fresno on Saturday evening. Tacoma had eight hits but managed just three runs, with Patrick Kivlehan pulling a homer to left field. Emilio Pagan made his Triple-A debut, pitching 2.1 scoreless innings from the bullpen.
Today: Fresno (31-36-1) at Tacoma (38-30-1), 1:35.
Opponent Affiliation: Houston Astros.
Season Series: Tied, 3-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Mike Hauschild (5-6, 3.50) at RHP Donn Roach (4-4, 4.72).
Hot Rainiers: Chris Taylor has reached base with a hit or a walk in 18 straight games, and in 57 of his 62 games this season… Mike Zunino is warming up again: he’s 6-for-12 during a three-game hitting streak.
Look Out For: Top prospect A.J. Reed was a factor yesterday, pulling a long home run to right field and then blooping a game-tying RBI double to left field in the seventh inning… catcher Tyler Heineman is 9-for-20 during a six-game hitting streak… the Astros optioned first baseman Tyler White to Fresno.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 1:20 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here. Bob Robertson joins me on the broadcast today.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers briefly held a lead last night.
- My Minor League Notebook for the paper looks at the highly-ranked prospects who remain in the PCL.
- Adrian Sampson made his major league debut in the Mariners 6-2 loss to the Red Sox yesterday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook leads with the call-up of Sampson.
- Ryan Divish suggests that the time for the Mariners to get help via trade is right now.
- Michael Saunders, Franklin Gutierrez, and Ichiro are the subjects of John McGrath’s Sunday column.
- Two weeks after starting his comeback at Cheney Stadium, Tim Lincecum returned to the majors and shut down the Oakland A’s.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno pulled within one game of first place Tacoma with a 4-1 win at Albuquerque. The Aces have pitched well lately.
- Las Vegas starter Gabriel Ynoa delivered seven shutout innings in an 8-0 win at Salt Lake.
- Adalberto Mejia had a terrific debut in Sacramento’s 6-1 win over El Paso.
- A sixth inning homer by Chad Pinder propelled Nashville to a 3-2 win over visiting Round Rock. Apparently Round Rock’s Joey Gallo is in the doghouse.
- There was a walk-off grand slam in Colorado Springs. With two outs in the ninth, Will Middlebrooks turned a 5-4 deficit into an 8-5 win over Omaha.
- Ex-Rainiers slugger Carlos Peguero blasted a three-run homer for Memphis in a 6-4 win over Iowa. The Redbirds have won eight of their last ten games.
- Oklahoma City took control in the first inning and beat New Orleans, 8-2.
Have a great day!