Last night the Rainiers took a 4-1 lead into the seventh inning stretch, only to lose in Salt Lake City, 9-4.
The Bees scored four runs in the seventh, and four more in the eighth, to hand Tacoma a rare loss in the late innings.
Tacoma’s bullpen has been a strength this year, and it shows in the numbers: yesterday was just the fourth game this year (out of 33) that Tacoma lost when taking a a lead into the seventh inning.
Take it one inning further, the Rainiers are 30-1 when leading going into the eighth inning.
For now we’ll chalk it up the late loss as a rarity – and hopefully not a harbinger of things to come!
Yesterday: Tacoma let one slip away, as a 4-1 lead at the seventh inning stretch turned into a 9-4 loss. Tacoma had mental and physical errors when in the field during the bottom of the 7th and 8th innings.
Roster Move: Pitcher Jake Brentz has been sent to Everett, where he is slated to work in the starting rotation. Tacoma is adding left-hander Kyle Hunter from Double-A Jackson, where he was 2-0 with a 2.61 ERA in 11 games.
Today: Tacoma (36-28-1) at Salt Lake (31-32), 6:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 8-2.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Cody Martin (5-3, 5.12) at LHP Nate Smith (3-2, 4.62).
Hot Rainiers: Chris Taylor has reached base with a hit or a walk in 14 straight games, and in 53 of his 58 games this season… Boog Powell has hit .368 (14-for-38) over his last ten games… is Efren Navarro warming up? He homered last night – part of a three-hit game – and is 6-for-13 during a four-game hitting streak.
Look Out For: catcher Juan Graterol is 8-for-19 over his last seven games; he also stole home on a delayed double steal last night – it was his first stolen base since August 3, 2013 when he was in Double-A.… rehabilitating major leaguer Daniel Nava is 4-for-8 over the past two days.
Ex-Rainiers: Former Rainiers Ji-Man Choi and Lucas Luetge play for Salt Lake. The Bees have a pair of Washington guys, in pitchers Kyle Kendrick(Mount Vernon) and Tim Lincecum (Issaquah).
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story.
- Tough day for the Mariners, who also blew a three-run lead at the 7th inning stretch and lost starting pitcher Taijuan Walker to a foot injury.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook includes an item on a hot teenage outfielder the Mariners have in the Dominican Summer League. I’m sure we’ll see him in Tacoma in five or six years LOL.
PCL Game Reports:
- Tacoma still leads Reno by two games in the standings, thanks to Las Vegas lefty Sean Gilmartin. Gilmartin threw 120 pitches came an out away from a complete game in a 2-1 victory over Reno.
- Fresno has won three in a row. The Grizzlies took down Sacramento last night, 6-3.
- Albuquerque banged out 15 hits – three each for Ben Paulsen and Jordan Patterson – in a 5-4 win at El Paso. El Paso lost a heavy hitter when Ryan Schimpf got called up by the San Diego Padres.
- New Orleans finally lost, and it took a walk-off home run by Round Rock’s Trevor Adams to beat ’em.
- Kolten Wong homered twice, including a tenth-inning shot, to help Memphis beat Nashville 7-4.
- Oklahoma City took down Omaha, 6-3, and the Storm Chasers have lost eight straight games.
- Colorado Springs and Iowa split a doubleheader. The Sky Sox used eight pitchers to cover seven innings in the opening game of a doubleheader. What?
Night game tonight, then we wrap up the series with an early game at 11:05 tomorrow so keep that in mind!