The Rainiers lost another one-run game in Las Vegas on Sunday, and so far this place has not been friendly to Tacoma.
Tacoma is 1-5 after six games at Cashman Field, with two games remaining. Tacoma’s record in all other games: 32-18.
When the Rainiers were here in April, they got wiped out. The scores in the losses were 8-1, 14-6, and 7-4.
This trip has been different. A pair of one-run losses, each of which manager Pat Listach described as a winnable game if the club hadn’t made a couple of mistakes.
There is still a chance to salvage this series, with two games left.
Yesterday: Tacoma had just one hit after the sixth inning and lost in Las Vegas, 6-5. It was the second straight one-run loss on this trip. Zach Shank hit two solo home runs – it was the first multiple-homer game of his career.
Roster Move: The Mariners have activated Ketel Marte from the disabled list, and they optioned Stefen Romero to Tacoma. I’m not sure when Romero is reporting.
Today: Tacoma (33-23-1) at Las Vegas (30-26), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Las Vegas leads, 5-1.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Brad Mills (1-1, 3.71) at LHP Duane Below (4-3, 3.70).
Hot Rainiers: In his last eight appearances, Blake Parker has allowed just three hits and no runs over 8.1 innings. He’s also 9-for-9 in save opportunities this season… Patrick Kivlehan is 7-for-17 since re-joining the Rainiers… Mike Baxter is hitting .450 (9-for-20) with six doubles at Cashman Field this season.
Look Out For: T.J. Rivera has hit safely in 22 of his last 23 games, and is batting .365 on the year… Brandon Nimmo has a five-game hitting streak… Dilson Herrera has six RBI over his last five games, and he has scored 11 runs over his past eight games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Mistakes doomed the Rainiers, and you can read about it in the game story.
- The Mariners lost in Texas on Sunday and were swept in the three-game series.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook mentions that we should see Leonys Martin on a rehabilitation assignment in Tacoma later this week.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno had a seven-run inning and crushed Salt Lake, 9-1. The Aces pulled within four games of Tacoma; they come to Cheney Stadium for the first time this year on Thursday.
- Nick Noonan had four hits against his former team and El Paso won in Fresno, 10-6.
- Albuquerque starter Jordan Lyles tossed a gem and won in Sacramento, 6-2.
- Drew Robinson drove in all of the runs as Round Rock topped Oklahoma City, 3-2.
- Omaha ended a six-game losing streak with a 6-4 win over Nashville.
- Iowa beat Memphis, 6-1, and the story details the rather wild career of pitcher Alex Sanabia.
- Dylan Axelrod and New Orleans shut out Colorado Springs, 3-0.
The heat here has been incredible. It was 108 at the end of Sunday’s game, and it’s not supposed to cool down until after we leave town.