The noon games seem to start earlier in Las Vegas than they do in other PCL cities, so let’s get right to the round-up.
Yesterday: One day after stunning Salt Lake with a late rally, the Rainiers were on the other side of the coin. Tacoma took a 7-4 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning, only to see Las Vegas score four runs on five rapid-succession hits to win it, 8-7. Dilson Herrera had the game-winning hit. It was Tacoma’s first blown lead in the ninth inning this year: the Rainiers had been 28-0 when leading after eight innings.
Roster Move: Prior to yesterday’s game, the Mariners optioned pitcher Cody Martin to Tacoma and called up reliever Edwin Diaz from Double-A Jackson.
Today: Tacoma (33-22-1) at Las Vegas (29-26), 12:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Las Vegas leads, 4-1.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Andrew Kittredge (0-0, 0.00) at RHP Seth Lugo (3-3, 7.28).
Hot Rainiers: In his last eight appearances, Blake Parker has allowed just three hits and no runs over 8.1 innings. He’s also 9-for-9 in save opportunities this season… Patrick Kivlehan is 5-for-12 since re-joining the Rainiers… Dario Pizzano and Mike Baxter each had three hits last night.
Look Out For: T.J. Rivera has hit safely in 21 of his last 22 games, and is batting .368 on the year… Gavin Cecchini is 9-for-17 during a four-game hitting streak… Dilson Herrera has six RBI over his last four games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 11:50 AM on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story has comments from Pat Listach. He was remarkably positive after the shocking loss – probably because it just hasn’t been happening this year.
- Here’s the view from the Las Vegas side.
- In my weekly minor league notebook for the paper, we check in on the man who was on the other side of the Tim Lincecum game: Adrian Sampson.
- Stan Naccarato was memorialized.
- The Mariners got beat up in Texas for the second day in a row on Saturday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook leads off with the call-up of Edwin Diaz.
- John McGrath has his weekly MLB Power Rankings.
- The Sunday column from Ryan Divish is on MLB’s PED problem.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno outlasted Salt Lake in a wild ride, 14-13. The Aces are five games behind Tacoma.
- Alex Dickerson had four hits to help El Paso take down Fresno, 10-5.
- Sacramento rode the arm of Clayton Blackburn to a 1-0 win over Albuquerque. The only run of the game scored in the first inning.
- New Orleans starter Paul Clemens – who had that the complete game no-decision in the tie against Tacoma on Monday – pitched a five inning, rain-shortened shutout against Colorado Springs. This guy is on to something.
- Iowa won its eighth straight game – this one a 4-0 shutout of Memphis. The Cubs went 7-for-7 stealing bases, with Arismendy Alcantra swiping four of them.
- Omaha lost its sixth in a row, a 13-5 blowout against Nashville. The Sounds are 18-2 over their last 20 games.
- Oklahoma City handled Round Rock, 7-1.
Off to the ballpark – I’m curious to see how the Rainiers bounce back from last night’s unexpected collapse.