Tacoma has had some trouble on offense the last two days, managing a total of just nine hits and two runs in back-to-back losses.
The Rainiers have lost back-to-back games for the first time in nearly a month – it last happened April 29-30 at Las Vegas.
Still, the Rainiers have the best record in the PCL at 29-19. We’ll see if they get back on the winning track this evening in game two of the New Orleans series.
Yesterday: Tacoma had just four hits in a 3-1 loss at New Orleans in the series opener on Friday night. Efren Navarro homered for the second straight game, but that was the extent of the Rainiers offense.
Roster Move: The Mariners called up Stefen Romero prior to last night’s game, leaving the Rainiers a man down for now.
Today: Tacoma (29-19) at New Orleans (20-27), 4:00 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Miami Marlins.
Season Series: New Orleans leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Adrian Sampson (4-3, 3.32) at LHP Chris Reed (0-1, 4.80).
Hot Rainiers: Jonathan Aro has allowed just one earned run on one hit over his last 11 innings, spanning nine appearances. They’re batting .032 against him during that time… Efren Navarro has homered in back-to-back games.
Look Out For: Tomas Telis – the switch-hitting catcher – has 15 hits during a seven-game hitting streak… former Rainiers infielder Robert Andino has an eight-game hitting streak, going 16-for-35… Matt Juengel has hit safely in eight of his last nine games, going 13-for-33.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 3:45 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story is about the suddenly missing offense.
- Felix Hernandez and the Mariners lost “a clunker” to the Twins, 7-2.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook covers the Leonys Martin injury, among other things.
- Despite the Colorado Springs franchise intending to move to San Antonio in 2019, the City of San Antonio has no funding plan in place for a new ballpark.
PCL Game Reports:
- Reno lost in the bottom of the ninth inning at Round Rock, 3-2, as Ryan Strausborger had the game-winning hit.
- Colorado Springs had 20 hits, including two grand slams, in a 17-4 blasting of Fresno.
- Sacramento topped Oklahoma City, 5-4, scoring the winning run in the bottom of the inning on a botched double play.
- Las Vegas waited out top prospect Alex Reyes, and then beat the Memphis bullpen for a 4-1 win.
- The Nashville juggernaut rolled into Salt Lake City and picked up another win, 3-2. The Sounds have won 12 of the last 13 games.
- Hunter Renfroe led El Paso to a 3-2 win at Omaha.
- Iowa’s Drew Rucinski tossed a gem, and Willson Contreras homered again in a 6-1 win over visiting Albuquerque.