Tacoma completed the four-game sweep of Iowa with an 8-1 victory on a damp Sunday afternoon, wrapping up another terrific homestand.
The Rainiers went 7-1 on the homestand, improving their record at Cheney Stadium to 18-5.
But now it’s time for a road trip, and the Rainiers are just 9-11 on the road.
Now, that’s not a bad road record. You’d like to get it up to or over the .500 mark, and as long as the team keeps cleaning up at home all will be fine.
The big issue in road games has been the starting pitching: Rainiers starters have a 7.55 ERA in road games, allowing 80 earned runs in 95.1 innings pitched.
Sixteen of the first 20 road games have been played in high-scoring ballparks: Albuquerque (8), El Paso (4) and Las Vegas (4).
The staff should get a break on this road trip. Round Rock’s Dell Diamond plays pretty fair unless the wind is howling, and New Orleans plays in an honest-to-goodness pitcher’s park. Maybe that will help Tacoma’s starting pitchers get rolling on the road.
Yesterday: Tacoma’s bullpen pitched 6.2 shutout innings after a rain delay caused starter Brad Mills to have a short outing, and the Rainiers finished a sweep of Iowa with an 8-1 win on Sunday. Boog Powell, Mike Zunino, and Stefen Romero homered for the Rainiers.
Today: Tacoma (27-16) at Round Rock (23-19), 5:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Texas Rangers.
Season Series: 0-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Adrian Sampson (4-2, 3.00) at RHP Kyle Lohse (1-0, 5.06).
Hot Rainiers: Mike Baxter has a six-game hitting streak, during which he has gone 7-for-23 with four home runs, and he has scored at least one run in each game… Mike Zunino has eight RBI over his last three games, and he has a five-game hitting streak… Stefen Romero has reached base via hit or walk in 13 straight games.
Look Out For: Everybody. Round Rock just won three straight games in El Paso, scoring double-digits in each game. All told, the team scored 43 runs on 60 hits the last three days, with a team batting average of .451 (60-for-133)… Jurickson Profar has a ten-game hitting streak, and Ryan Strausborger has hit safely in seven straight.
Ex-Rainiers: Round Rock is loaded with ’em. James Jones, Patrick Kivlehan, and Tom Wilhelmsen are on the active roster while Justin Ruggiano is on the disabled list.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story from The News Tribune is full of positivity after a 7-1 homestand. And they have video of our K-9 Innings promo – look at all of the dogs!
- The Mariners finished a three-game road sweep of the Reds with a 5-4 win on Sunday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook begins with details on the Mariners latest roster move.
PCL Game Reports:
- Round Rock scored a franchise-record 11 runs in one inning – the third – and pounded El Paso on Sunday, 16-7. The Chihuahuas learned something they did not know about their scoreboard.
- Salt Lake avoided being swept in Oklahoma City by hanging on for a 6-4 victory on Sunday.
- New Orleans scored in the ninth to win in Albuquerque, 4-3, completing a four-game sweep. The ‘Topes have lost six in a row and ten of the last 12, but at least Rafael Ynoa is playing well.
- Las Vegas beat Colorado Springs, completing a 6-2 road trip. The 51s moved into first place in the Pacific-South. The Mets and 51s Player Development Contract expires after this season, but everyone seems happy with the union.
- Omaha starter Christian Binford fired eight shutout innings in the Storm Chasers’ 3-0 win at Reno.
- Sacramento ended Nashville’s seven-game winning streak with a 3-2 decision on Sunday. Nashville came *this* close to a perfect 8-0 homestand.
- Top St. Louis Cardinals prospect Alex Reyes made his 2016 debut for Memphis, striking out eight batters over four scoreless innings in an 8-1 win over Fresno.
We made it to Texas on a red-eye flight. Was an unusual feeling, checking in to the hotel while other guests were sitting around eating their breakfast.