The Rainiers dropped the final game of the road trip in ten innings on Friday night, 4-3, and return home today.
It’s the start of cross-conference play, with Omaha and Iowa making their first visits to Cheney Stadium since August of 2014.
Omaha is good, coming in to town with a 20-14 record having just won three-of-four against Memphis. They have some young, talented position players which seems to be a staple of recent Kansas City Royals affiliates.
Yesterday: Tacoma could not hold on to a 3-0 lead, failing to get a base runner after the sixth inning and eventually losing in ten innings at Fresno, 4-3. Tacoma maintains a 4.5-game lead in the Pacific-North division standings.
Today: Omaha (20-14) at Tacoma (20-15), 5:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Kansas City Royals.
Season Series: 0-0. They’ll play four games this season.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Jonathan Dziedzic (1-3, 4.45) at RHP Joe Wieland (2-3, 10.58).
Dziedzic is pronounced “jed-jick,” which is odd because Dziedzic doesn’t have any j’s in it.
Hot Rainiers: Daniel Robertson has homered three times in his last six games… Dario Pizzano has hit safely in seven straight games, going 10-for-25… Tyler Smith is 7-for-15 over his last four games… Chris Taylor has reached base via hit or walk in 30 of the 33 games he has played in.
Look Out For: Brett Eibner homered three times on Thursday against Memphis, including two in the fifth inning alone. He became the 21st player in PCL history to homer twice in one inning… Jorge Bonifacio and Clint Barmes each have eight-game hitting streaks going into tonight’s game… former first round pick Hunter Dozier homered eight times in 26 games for Double-A Northwest Arkansas before being promoted to Omaha a week ago.
Local Guy: Mill Creek native Travis Snider is on Omaha, trying to play his way back to the big leagues.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 4:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners took a tough loss on Friday, blowing a late lead and losing 7-6 to the injury-depleted Angels.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook looks at first baseman Adam Lind.
- Jabari Blash, a Rule 5 pick, was designated for assignment by San Diego. If he clears waivers (any team can claim him if they keep him in the majors), the Padres have to offer him back to the Mariners who could then send him to the minors. Point being, we could potentially get Blash back in Tacoma.
PCL Game Reports:
- Salt Lake made it seven straight wins with an 8-6 victory over visiting Albuquerque.
- El Paso had a 10-1 lead in the third inning at Las Vegas and it was not safe. They won, though, 12-10.
- Six Sacramento pitchers kept Reno off the scoreboard until the ninth inning in a 7-3 River Cats win.
- Albert Almora hit a game-ending two-run double to give Iowa a dramatic 3-2 win over Nashville.
- A wind-blown fly ball helped Omaha beat Memphis, 7-1.
- Oklahoma City complete the rare four-game road sweep with an 11-7 win at Round Rock.
- Keon Broxton homered twice and Orf had three hits for Colorado Springs in a 10-3 win at New Orleans.
Great to be home – see you at the park!