Rather than tell you all about our extraordinarily long travel day on Tuesday, let’s just get right to the round-up and move on to today’s noon game.
Yesterday: Tacoma took the opening game against Fresno in extra innings, 7-6. It was an adventure: the Rainiers blew a 4-1 lead at the seventh inning stretch, and a 6-5 lead in the ninth, before winning in the tenth. Perseverance. Dario Pizzano went 3-for-3, while Ed Lucas and Tyler Smith each had two hits. This was a wild game, the first link down below has the blow-by-blow.
Today: Tacoma (19-13) at Fresno (13-18), 12:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Houston Astros.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: LHP James Paxton (4-2, 2.93) at RHP Mike Hauschild (2-3, 4.55).
Don’t be surprised if Paxton has a short outing. The Mariners don’t want him throwing a ton of innings in Triple-A when they figure they’ll need him in Seattle at some point this year, so they are going to control how much he works now that he has figured things out here.
Hot Rainiers: Dario Pizzano has hit safely in five straight games, going 8-for-16… Tyler Smith is 6-for-12 over his last three games… Chris Taylor reached four times on Monday, with two hits and two walks, and he has reached base via hit or walk in 27 of the 30 games he has played in. He had a rare day off yesterday… an interesting stat, even though he’s not hot right now: Mike Zunino is just 2-for-24 over his last seven games, but he has only struck out three times during this spell. Contact will pay off in the long run.
Look Out For: Veteran shortstop Danny Worth has been on a tear since opening day for Fresno – and it’s a good thing, because most of their position players have gotten off to slow starts. Worth is hitting .366-5-19, he’s hit safely in 24 of 28 games played, and he’s been the crux of the Fresno offense… also, Tony Kemp is on a eight-game hitting streak… top prospect A.J. Reed has not started hitting yet in the PCL… 2015 PCL MVP Matt Duffy is warming up; he’s 5-for-12 over his last three games and had two well-struck balls last night.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 11:50 AM on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The game ended right at the newspaper deadline, so the Rainiers game story for The News Tribune is pretty much a blow-by-blow of what happened in a rather wild game. Also, Fresno Tacos.
- The Mariners won another on Tuesday, taking down Tampa 6-4 with Dae-Ho Lee‘s three-run homer the big blow.
- The Mariners remind outfielder Nori Aoki of the 2014 Kansas City Royals, Bob Dutton writes in his Mariners Notebook.
- I enjoyed John McGrath’s column on Felix Hernandez, who might have a pitched lot of unlucky games but is anything but unlucky in life.
- With Tampa Bay in town, Ryan Divish checked in on former Mariners and Rainiers shortstop Brad Miller.
- Fangraphs checked up on Taijuan Walker and learned that he is using his curveball more in non-traditional counts to get strikes.
PCL Game Reports:
- Salt Lake’s first baseman Jefry Marte has led his team to victory two days in a row. This time it was a 3-for-4, HR, three RBI day in a 5-3 win over Albuquerque. Oh yeah, almost forget the important part: Salt Lake reliever Al Alburquerque got the save against Albuquerque.
- Veteran Kyle Drabek pitched Reno to a 3-1 win at Sacramento, out-dueling Ty Blach.
- Las Vegas used an early five-run inning to beat El Paso, 6-4. Brandon Nimmo had two hits with a run and an RBI.
- Zach Lee of Oklahoma City became the PCL’s first five-game winner in a 3-1 victory at Round Rock.
- Memphis used a six-run inning to knock out Omaha, 7-1. Werner Park has been a launching pad so far this season, according to the story.
- Chicago catcher Miguel Montero had a successful rehabilitation game for the Iowa Cubs, but his team got plowed by Nashville 8-5.
- Colorado Springs lost a 1-0 pitcher’s duel at New Orleans. I love 1-0 games – not all of the time, but every once in a while. I’m ready for one. Can we have one?
Day game today! That’s three day games in the past four days. This must be what working for the Cubs is like.