Quick one today, long travel situation…
Yesterday: Cody Martin turned in the Rainiers fifth consecutive excellent starting pitching performance, allowing just one unearned run over six innings in Tacoma’s 5-2 win over Salt Lake on Thursday night. Chris Taylor had two hits and scored two runs in the win. Tacoma swept Salt Lake in the four-game series, and has allowed just six runs during a five-game win streak.
Today: Tacoma (16-11) at Albuquerque (16-12), 6:05 (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Colorado Rockies.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: LHP James Paxton (3-2, 3.42) at RHP Jeff Hoffman (2-0, 1.52).
Great pitching match-up. Paxton has strung together three straight outstanding starts, and Hoffman is the Rockies top pitching prospect and he has electric stuff.
Hot Rainiers: Ed Lucas has three homers and two doubles during a five-game hitting streak… Shawn O’Malley is 9-for-17 during a five-game surge… Daniel Robertson has gone 8-for-19 over his last five games… Boog Powell has a five-game streak with nine hits.
Look Out For: Mike Tauchman carries a nine-game hitting streak into tonight, and he’s reached base in 24 straight games… Jordan Patterson has reached base in 24 of 25 games this season, and he’s hitting .444 in home games at Isotopes Park… Tim Smalling hit a grand slam off Paxton on April 15 at Cheney Stadium.
Ex-Rainiers Alert: Nope. None. Nada. Zippo. They don’t like our old players.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Christian Caple penned the Rainiers game story for The News Tribune.
- The Mariners remained red-hot with a 6-3 win at Houston.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook discusses the importance of the late-spring acquisition of Nick Vincent.
PCL Game Reports:
- Albuquerque lost last night when Sacramento scored nine runs in the third inning at Isotopes Park. The River Cats took the game, 12-6.
- An unleashed Chihuahua scampered home with the winning run on a walk-off wild pitch, and El Paso beat Las Vegas 7-6.
- Socrates Brito philosophized about the three-base hit during Reno’s 3-2 win at Fresno.
- Iowa outfielder Albert Almora had three hits in the Cubs 4-1 win at Nashville.
- Oklahoma City’s Rob Segedin keeps hitting. He tripled and homered in a 9-2 win over New Orleans last night.
- Orf, the Sky Sox shortstop, had three hits and drove in a pair of runs to help Colorado Springs beat Round Rock, 6-4. Orf.
- Omaha infielder Cheslor Cuthbert appears to be taking a big step forward. He hit his seventh homer and had two hits in a 5-3 win at Memphis on Thursday. The Omaha paper also has a feature on 2015 PCL batting champion Jose Martinez.
That’s it for today. The Rainiers will be a sleep-deprived crew for this one. Zombie baseball tonight, one night only at Isotopes Park!