Tacoma starter Adrian Sampson had the longest appearance by a Rainiers pitcher this season, going seven innings in a 6-1 victory over visiting Salt Lake on Monday night.
Sampson allowed one run on six hits, he did not issue a walk, and he struck out seven.
It was the fourth Quality Start in five outings for Sampson, who improved his mark to 3-1, 2.67.
Sampson and Sunday starter James Paxton have delivered back-to-back strong starts for the second straight turn through the rotation. Now we’ll see if the momentum can carry over to Donn Roach, who looks to turn things around tonight.
Yesterday: The Rainiers enjoyed a strong starting pitching performance for the second straight game, as Adrian Sampson lasted seven innings in a 6-1 win over Salt Lake in the series opener. Chris Taylor and Ed Lucas homered, and Stefen Romero extended his hitting streak to 15 games.
Today: Salt Lake (15-10) at Tacoma (13-11), 6:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 1-0.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Nate Smith (2-0, 3.94) at RHP Donn Roach (1-2, 10.59).
Hot Rainiers: Stefen Romero has a 15-game hitting streak; he’s gone 23-for-59 during the streak… Chris Taylor has reached base via hit or walk in 22 of 23 games played…Shawn O’Malley is 7-for-10 during a three-game surge.
Look Out For: Jefry Marte‘s nine-game hitting streak ended last night; he was robbed twice by third baseman Ed Lucas‘s diving stops… switch-hitting outfielder Todd Cunningham is 8-for-16 during a five-game hitting streak. He’s also “controlling the zone” with 17 walks and only 10 strikeouts this season.
Ex-Rainiers Alert: Left-hander Lucas Luetge is in the Salt Lake bullpen; he’s been a regular at Cheney Stadium the past three years… reliever Ramon Ramirez had a brief stint with Tacoma in 2014… former Mariners player, minor league pitching coach, and all-around good guy Pat Rice is currently serving as Salt Lake’s pitching coach.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Adrian Sampson continued to throw strikes, and the Rainiers celebrated owner Mikal Thomsen‘s 60th birthday with a win.
- The Mariners persevered in a 4-3 win over Oakland on Monday night.
- Bob Dutton reports in his Mariners Notebook that the team will be taking a look at current free agent Tim Lincecum – but it’s hard to see how he fits in right now.
PCL Game Reports:
- Fresno shortstop Danny Worth had the go-ahead hit in a 5-2 win over Reno.
- Las Vegas starter Gabriel Ynoa put the Chihuahuas to sleep in a 6-3 win at El Paso.
- Local product Austin House pitched two scoreless innings in his Albuquerque debut, but the ‘Topes lost to visiting Sacramento, 7-3.
- Third baseman Renato Nunez starred as Nashville picked up a 5-1 win over Iowa.
- Round Rock blew a seven-run lead but emerged with an 11-10 win at Colorado Springs.
- Ex-Rainiers infielder Robert Andino homered in the tenth inning to give New Orleans a 3-2 win over Memphis.
- Cheslor Cuthbert‘s three-run homer was the big blow as Omaha won in Memphis, 4-3.
Back to the ballpark – Rainiers going for three straight wins!