The Rainiers struggles took a new turn on Friday night in Las Vegas, with errors costing Tacoma a game.
Rainiers infielders made four errors in the first two innings, leading to 11 Las Vegas runs, and an eventual 14-6 Rainiers loss.
Starting pitcher Joe Wieland should have escaped the first inning without allowing any runs, but misplays by Ed Lucas and Chris Taylor led to four unearned runs.
Playing second base, Taylor made two more miscues during Las Vegas’s seven-run second inning. It was a very out-of-character night for Taylor, who committed three errors in a game for the first time in his professional career.
Tacoma has now lost seven of the last eight games – yet still sits in first place in the Northern Division standings.
Yesterday: Defensive problems hurt the Rainiers early in a 14-6 loss in Las Vegas. Mike Baxter had a big game at the plate, going 4-for-5, and Stefen Romero hit a two-run homer.
Today: Tacoma (11-10) at Las Vegas (10-10), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Las Vegas leads, 2-0.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Cody Martin (3-1, 7.58) at RHP Seth Lugo (1-2, 10.66).
Hot Rainiers: Stefen Romero has a 13-game hitting streak… Mike Baxter had four hits; he’s 5-for-7 in the Las Vegas series.
Look Out For: Matt Reynolds has the longest hitting streak for Las Vegas at nine games… Marc Krauss, Gavin Cecchini, and Brandon Nimmo have been tough outs for Tacoma the last two days.
Ex-Rainiers Alert: Former Rainiers infielder Ty Kelly is playing a lot of outfield for Las Vegas, and he’s been getting on base all of the time, as usual.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners pulled off a miracle win, beating Kansas City 1-0 in a game in which they had just one hit. Felix finally got one of these to go his way!
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook leads off with updates on the team’s injured relief pitchers.
- The recent dust-up between Chris Taylor and Chico the Chihuahua is cited in this story on player-vs-mascot incidents in sports.
PCL Game Reports:
- Salt Lake won a ten-inning thriller against Sacramento, 6-5. Salt Lake is 10-0 against Sacramento this season!
- Fresno left 15 runners on base and lost in the ninth inning to El Paso, 6-5.
- Albuquerque at Reno was rained out, they are hoping to play two today.
- Eric Surkamp pitched Nashville to a 3-2 win at Round Rock. Surkamp struck out ten in seven innings.
- While they weren’t on display in last night’s 1-0 win over Colorado Springs, the Iowa Cubs have some impressive young hitters.
- New Orleans starter Paul Clemens combined with two relievers on a three-hit shutout of Memphis.
- A pair of bases loaded walks in the 12th inning doomed Omaha in a 5-3 loss to Oklahoma City.
We had overnight rain in Las Vegas and today’s forecast is somewhat dreary. Hopefully we can get this one in.