Yesterday: Sacramento scored three runs in each of the first three innings, and beat Tacoma in a rain-shortened game, 10-5. Only five-and-a-half innings were completed, but that’s enough for an official game. Mac Williamson went 3-for-3 with seven RBI, making you wonder what he would’ve finished with if the game had gone nine innings. Tacoma has lost four straight games.
Roster Move: After an incredible 17 straight games with the opening day roster still intact, the Rainiers are going to have their first roster move today. Gotta wait for the Mariners to announce it.
Today: Sacramento (7-11) at Tacoma (10-7), 6:05.
Opponent Affiliation: San Francisco Giants.
Season Series: Sacramento leads, 2-0.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Matt Lujan (0-2, 4.85) at LHP James Paxton (1-2, 5.84).
Hot Rainiers: Chris Taylor has a career-best 14-game hitting streak, and he’s reached base in 16 straight games. He’s 23-for-57 during the hitting streak… Stefen Romero has a ten-game hitting streak… Tacoma’s dual closers Blake Parker and Mayckol Guaipe are a combined 7-for-7 in save opportunities.
Look Out For: Ryan Lollis never makes outs against Tacoma. He hit .409 against Tacoma last year, and he’s 4-for-6 with five runs scored in the first two games of this series… power prospect Mac Williamson has gone 11-for-20 with two homers over his last five games, and he’s 5-for-6 with eight RBI in this series.
Ex-Rainiers Alert: Sacramento has former Rainiers Miguel Olivo and Darren Ford on the team. Yes, that Miguel Olivo. He’s 37-years-old and has already hit two homers this year. Pitching coach Dwight Bernard had the same job for Tacoma for seven years.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners closed out a terrific road trip with a 9-4 win over the Angels on Sunday. they went 6-3 on the nine-game trip. Now let’s see if they can start winning some home games.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook tells us how Seth Smith is beating the shift.
- The fellas at SB Nation have created a random minor league team name generator. It’s fun for the whole family!
PCL Game Reports:
- Albuquerque is the hottest team in the league. The Isotopes won their seventh in a row yesterday, beating Las Vegas in the ninth inning.
- Kyle Drabek delivered six shutout innings and Reno pounded Fresno, 12-7.
- El Paso and Salt Lake split a doubleheader. Hunter Renfroe homered in both games and won the PCL Player of the Week award.
- New Orleans picked up a 4-3 win at Nashville.
- Omaha withstood a rain delay and extra innings to beat Colorado Springs, 6-5 in ten. Rey Fuentes had the game-winning hit.
- Carlos Peguero‘s three-run homer in the eighth inning gave Memphis a 6-4 win over Round Rock.
- Oklahoma City banged out 14 hits in a 13-5 win at Iowa.