Fresh off a feel-good 11-inning win over Albuquerque on Sunday afternoon, the Rainiers take the field for an early game on Monday.
Today’s first pitch is at 11:05 AM Pacific time, and you might want to consider following along: this team is red hot right now.
The Rainiers improved to 8-2 on Sunday, winning a game which had all of the marks of a loss. They overcame a four-run deficit, tied it up in the seventh inning, and won it in the 11th, 10-7.
Tacoma has won two of three in this series, and look for their third straight series win to start the season.
Yesterday: A book could be written about Sunday’s game, which Tacoma won 10-7 in 11 innings. Mike Zunino homered in a three-run first inning, the Rainiers were down 7-3 in the bottom of the fifth, Casey Coleman and Justin DeFratus led a bullpen that combined to pitch seven shutout innings, there was a four-run game-tying rally in the top of the seventh, and Ed Lucas hit a bases-clearing double with two outs in the top of the 11th to win it.
Today: Tacoma (8-2) at Albuquerque (5-6), 11:05 AM (Pacific).
Opponent Affiliation: Colorado Rockies.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 5-2.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Joe Wieland (1-0, 3.00) at RHP Matt Flemer (-).
Flemer is up from Double-A Hartford, and he’s making his Triple-A debut.
Hot Rainiers: Stefen Romero has multiple hits in seven of the ten games he has played in… Ed Lucas extended his hitting streak to nine games with his game-winning hit… Efren Navarro went 4-for-5 yesterday…, and Mike Zunino has an eight-game hitting streak, and he has homered in four straight games… Chris Taylor has a seven-game hitting streaks… and your stat of the day, as a team the Rainiers are batting .379 (22×58) with runners in scoring position and two outs.
Look Out For: Triple-A rookies Jordan Patterson and Mike Tauchman have eight-game hitting streaks… Patterson has a .548 on-base percentage in six games against Tacoma.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 10:50 AM (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Check out the Rainiers game story for details on a rather remarkable win.
- Mike Zunino talked to MiLB.com after the game.
- The Mariners missed out on their chance to sweep the Yankees in New York, dropping a 4-3 decision on Sunday.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook looks at some M’s players who are recovering from mild injuries.
- Salt Lake is the only PCL team with a better record than the Rainiers. They’re 9-2 after a ten-inning win at Sacramento on Sunday. Todd Cunningham hit the game-winning home run.
- Reno scored three times in the top of the ninth inning to beat El Paso, 8-5. Zach Borenstein had a big pinch-hit, two-run double.
- Las Vegas lefty Sean Gilmartin shut down Fresno, 3-0.
- Omaha edged New Orleans, 3-2, and the Storm Chasers have won five in a row.
- Memphis at Colorado Springs was snowed out. The local paper has a story on top Brewers prospect Orlando Arcia.
- Iowa at Round Rock and Nashville at Oklahoma City were both rained out on Sunday.
That’s it for today – early game, and then a nice four-hour bus ride through the barren wasteland between Albuquerque and El Paso.