Fresno starter Dan Straily retired 20 straight batters to open the game, helping Fresno defeat Round Rock on Wednesday night, 3-1.
The best-of-five PCL Championship Series is tied, one game apiece.
Straily’s bid for a perfect game ended with two outs in the seventh inning, when he walked Nomar Mazara. Two batters later, Brett Nicholas broke up the no-hitter.
Fresno took the lead on Jon Singleton‘s two-run homer in the first inning.
The teams are off today, for a travel day. The final two (or three) games will be played in Fresno, starting with Friday night’s game at 7:05.
We’ll continue to follow the series with our next blog update, which will be on Saturday morning.
- We start with the recap from the Austin Statesman, which has lots of reaction from Straily.
- The Fresno Bee also has a report, with a notebook at the end – apparently the Fresno team is battling illness.
- Jesus Montero is still on the Mariners – he actually got a start last night, and hit a three-run homer in a 3-1 win over the Angels. The Mariners won that series and need to go 10-5 over the last 15 games to finish at .500.
- The game featured a moment of tension between Kyle Seager and Jered Weaver.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook has some fresh news on the GM opening.
That’s it for today – come back Saturday for our next update.