The Rainiers play their final game of the 2015 season today when they face Las Vegas at noon.
Tacoma had some fun last night, picking up a 6-3 win and knocking the Las Vegas 51s out of the playoff picture. El Paso clinched the Pacific-South title and will face Fresno in the playoffs starting on Wednesday.
Chien-Ming Wang delivered eight strong innings, allowing three runs and earning the win. It was an excellent game for the 35-year-old former Yankees star, and you have to wonder if it was his last. He’ll be a free agent after the season.
Tacoma scored four runs in the sixth inning on a Little League grand slam. With the bases loaded, Ji-Man Choi singled to left-center. Center fielder Kyle Johnson let the ball roll past him for an error, and when Choi tried to go to third base the relay throw from shortstop Matt Reynolds went past the third baseman for another error, allowing Choi to score.
Today the games wrap up – but the blog will live on! We’ll have a new post on Wednesday looking at the PCL playoffs (and I’ll make some wildly inaccurate predictions), and you can check in throughout the next two weeks to see who wins the league championship.
And as always, we’ll cover the Mariners moves in what is certain to be an interesting offseason.
First, though, we have one more…
Yesterday: Chien-Ming Wang pitched the Rainiers to a 6-3 win, knocking Las Vegas out of playoff contention.
Today: Tacoma (67-76) at Las Vegas (77-66), 12:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Las Vegas leads, 8-7.
Starting Pitchers: TBD at TBD
Seriously. After the game last night neither team was sure who was starting today.
Hot Rainiers: James Jones is 12-for-36 with ten walks in his ten games since coming off the disabled list… Jesus Montero is 21-for-39 in his last ten PCL games, and his .352 batting average ranks second in the league.
Look Out For: Dilson Herrera has hit .447 with four homers and 14 RBI in just nine games against Tacoma.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 11:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We’ll start with the Rainiers game story.
- The Mariners won their fifth in a row and finished a sweep of Oakland. Now if they can just sweep Texas in the four-game series which starts tonight…
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook looks at Tom Wilhelmsen‘s return to the closer role.
- The Mariners offense has really picked up recently.
- If you are interested in such things, Geoff Baker explains the international signing bonus slot values which are now a tradeable commodity.
- In the PCL, the Las Vegas 51s “bungled” their playoff bid.
- El Paso clinched the Pacific-South with a dramatic 7-4, ten inning win at Reno. They’ll play at Fresno on Wednesday.
- Fresno tuned up with a 7-0 shutout of Salt Lake.
- Sacramento’s Clayton Blackburn delivered seven scoreless innings in a 5-2 win over Albuquerque.
- Nashville won in Omaha, 8-3, and Barry Zito pitched a perfect inning which may have been the last of his career.
- New Orleans got whacked in Colorado Springs, 9-2.
- Iowa had 17 hits in an 8-5 win at Round Rock. The Express are ready to host Oklahoma City in the playoffs on Wednesday.
- Oklahoma City won its 86th game – a new modern franchise record – with a 5-3 takedown of Memphis on Sunday.
There will be no update on Tuesday, as I am taking an entire day off. Check back on Wednesday for the annual PCL playoffs preview and incorrect predictions post!