Las Vegas took a 7-0 lead in the fourth inning and cruised to a 9-4 win over Tacoma in the series opener on Friday night.
With the win – coupled with El Paso’s 6-5 loss at Reno – Las Vegas moved back into first place in the Pacific-South division race.
In the only race left in the PCL, Las Vegas holds a half-game lead with three games left. El Paso has four games remaining – they play a doubleheader in Reno tonight.
El Paso holds the tiebreaker because they beat Las Vegas in the season series, so Vegas has to finish a game ahead of El Paso to advance to the playoffs.
Tacoma will try to make things tougher for Las Vegas tonight.
Rainiers outfielder Jabari Blash was named the Pacific Coast League’s Player of the Month for August.
Blash hit 14 home runs and drove in 27 runs during the month. His 14 homers is the most anybody in pro baseball has hit in a single month this season – a couple of major leaguers have hit 13 in a month.
He’s missed the last three games with a slightly strained right knee. Hopefully he’ll be back in the lineup today.
Today the Mariners announced the reliever Lucas Luetge was removed from the 40-man roster and outrighted to Tacoma. This opens a spot on the 40-man for someone to be called up after Monday’s game.
Leading candidates who are not on the 40-man are reliever J.C. Ramirez and Blash.
Yesterday: The Rainiers scored three runs in the ninth inning, but needed a lot more than that in a 9-4 loss to Las Vegas on Friday night.
Today: Tacoma (66-75) at Las Vegas (76-65), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Las Vegas leads, 7-6.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Mike Montgomery (4-3, 3.94) at LHP Darin Gorski (10-8, 5.12)
Hot Rainiers: Chris Taylor has hit safely in five straight games, going 9-for-20… Jabari Blash has a six-game hitting streak, which includes four homers… James Jones is 10-for-30 with six walks in his eight games since coming off the disabled list… Jesus Montero is 17-for-31 in his last eight PCL games, and is batting .349 in the league.
Look Out For: Dilson Herrera has hit .400 with three homers and ten RBI in just seven games against Tacoma.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We start with the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune. The story includes more on Jabari Blash and his big August. Apparently the key for Las Vegas is skipping batting practice.
- Stefen Romero‘s home run helped the Mariners to an 11-8 win at Oakland last night.
- Here is Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook.
- In the PCL, El Paso fell out of first place with a 6-5 loss in Reno.
- Fresno’s Matt Duffy hit his 19th home run in a 7-4 win over Salt Lake. The Grizzlies added catcher Trent Woodward, who is a product of Fresno State.
- Kevin Frandsen went 4-for-4 in Sacramento’s 6-1 win over Albuquerque.
- Oklahoma City Dodgers manager Damon Berryhill won the PCL Manager of the Year award. The Dodgers lost to Memphis last night, 11-6, as Redbirds starter Nick Greenwood earned his league-leading 13th win.
- Taylor Teagarden helped Iowa to an 8-1 win at Round Rock.
- Everyone in the Omaha lineup had a hit as the Storm Chasers took down Nashville, 7-3. PCL batting leader Jose Martinez upped his average to .388.
- New Orleans won a pitcher’s duel in Colorado Springs, 2-1.