Saw something I’ve never seen before last night: a player got ejected twice, by two different umpires.
Las Vegas outfielder Darrell Ceciliani was slow getting into the batters box to start the seventh inning, and home plate umpire Spencer Flynn charged him with a strike – part of the new pace of play rules in Triple-A baseball.
Ceciliani didn’t like this, and started arguing about it. Eventually Flynn got fed up and ejected him from the game.
At this point Ceciliani really started to get angry, as did his manager Wally Backman who came storming out of the dugout. Backman was quickly tossed as both were yelling at Flynn.
So far, it’s been entertaining, but nothing too unusual has happened.
But then first base umpire Jeff Morrow came running down the line, pointed at Ceciliani, and flamboyantly gave him the heave-ho.
Ceciliani was ejected twice, by two different umpires, in a span of about 45 seconds.
An impressive accomplishment. Hopefully that will turn up on the back of one of his baseball cards someday.
Yesterday: Dillon Gee went the distance, scattering ten hits as Las Vegas beat Tacoma, 7-2. Patrick Kivlehan went 3-for-3 with a homer for the Rainiers,
Roster Moves: The Mariners optioned newly acquired reliever Jose Ramirez to Tacoma, and called up Mayckol Guaipe.
Injury Update: Infielder D.J. Peterson has been out the last two days with a sore Achilles.
Today: Tacoma (53-57) at Las Vegas (61-49), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: New York Mets.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 6-5.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Chien-Ming Wang (1-2, 6.55) at LHP Darin Gorski (8-8, 5.02).
Hot Rainiers: Chris Taylor is 8-for-19 since returning to Tacoma. Ramon Flores has gone 7-for-16 since being acquired. Carlos Rivero has an eight-game hitting streak.
Look Out For: Outfielder Darrell Ceciliani has a nine-game hitting streak during which he has gone 15-for-35. Dilson Herrera is 7-for-13 with two homers and eight RBI in the first three games of the series.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- In the Rainiers game story, Pat Listach says it was the team’s worst game in months.
- The Mariners scored early and hung on for an 8-7 win at Colorado last night.
- Ketel Marte made the start in center field.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook reports that Jesus Montero is trending up.
- Mike Hessman broke the American minor league career home run record, and here is a fun story about it.
- In the PCL, Fresno’s Mike Hauschild delivered eight shutout innings in a 6-0 win over Albuquerque. Slugger Jon Singleton is back with the club.
- Sacramento has been playing well recently. The River Kitties scored three runs in the ninth to beat Salt Lake, 4-1.
- Reno scored three runs in the first and topped El Paso, 4-3.
- Baseball went bonkers late in the game as Iowa scored ten runs in the final two innings to win at Colorado Springs, 12-10.
- Oklahoma City won its fifth in a row with a big comeback against New Orleans.
- Memphis had a strong start from Tyler Lyons and beat Round Rock, 7-3.
- An error in the ninth inning cost Omaha in a 5-3 loss to Nashville.
Today is the last day of the road trip. Tacoma starts a nine-game homestand on Wednesday night at Cheney Stadium.