Tacoma pounded 16 hits but was unable to salvage a split of the Sacramento series, dropping the last game on Sunday 7-6.
Today the Rainiers welcome the Salt Lake Bees to town for the middle series of the 12-game homestand.
Salt Lake just finished a four-game home sweep over Reno, and they needed it: prior to the all-star break, Salt Lake lost 11 of 13 games. The Bees went into the break with the PCL’s worst record.
We have night games all week at 7:05, it’s not supposed to be 95 degrees anymore, so come on out to the park!
Yesterday: Tacoma out-hit Sacramento 16-11 and the River Cats made four errors – yet somehow Sacramento beat Tacoma on Sunday afternoon, 7-6. The River Cats won the series, three games to one.
Roster Move: The Mariners optioned Jesus Montero to Tacoma. He went 3-for-10 with three walks in his brief stint with the Mariners. At post time I’m not sure if Montero is reporting today.
Today: Salt Lake (38-57) at Tacoma (45-50), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Los Angeles Angels.
Season Series: Salt Lake leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Alex Sanabia (1-10, 8.17) at RHP Forrest Snow (7-6, 3.03)
Hot Rainiers: Jabari Blash had two more hits; he is 5-for-16 with two homers and six RBI since returning to the Rainiers. Carlos Rivero has gone 9-for-21 over a five-game hitting streak.
Look Out For: Outfielder Alfredo Marte is on an extended hot streak, posting multiple hits in 13 of his last 17 games and batting .528 (29-for-55) during that stretch. Efren Navarro had an 11-game hitting streak end with an 0-for-2 yesterday.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story looks at the play in which Tacoma had the tying runner thrown out at the plate in the eighth inning.
- The Mariners lost to the Yankees on Sunday and fell into last place in the AL West.
- In Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook, we learn that Jesus Montero was in good spirits after being told to report to Tacoma.
- Fangraphs has determined the five worst contracts in MLB. Read it at your own risk.
- Rainier Beach HS product Matt Fields has signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks, we learn from Baseball America’s Minor League Transactions. He was recently released by Omaha.
- In the PCL, first place Fresno was swept in a doubleheader by visiting El Paso. Still, Fresno has a comfortable lead in the division and expects to reach the playoffs.
- Salt Lake finished the sweep of Reno with a 4-1 win. Cam Bedrosian pitched well in relief.
- Albuquerque survived both a rain delay and a lights-went-out delay and beat Las Vegas, 8-1. Jon Gray continues to roll for the ‘Topes.
- Oklahoma City stunned Round Rock in the ninth inning before winning in the 12th. Trevor Cahill is trying to make a comeback with Okie City,
- Matt Clark‘s three-run homer gave Colorado Springs a 3-1 win at New Orleans.
- Iowa’s Carlos Pimentel started for the PCL in the Triple-A All-Star Game, and yesterday he delivered a quality start in a 4-2 win over Memphis.
- Three Omaha pitchers combined to shut out Nashville, 3-0.