Reno took the second game of the series last night, and the Rainiers are back at .500 on the year. The Rainiers were short in the bullpen (due to call-ups and an injury to today’s scheduled starter) and it may have had an impact on the result last night.
Yesterday: Reno’s Jamie Romak and Todd Glaesmann each hit two-out, two-run homers in the bottom of the sixth inning, snapping a 5-5 tie and leading the Aces to a 9-5 win.
Roster Moves: Before yesterday’s game Seattle called up Jesus Montero, Danny Farquhar, and Vidal Nuno. Mayckol Guaipe was optioned to Tacoma.
Today: Tacoma (44-44) at Reno (41-47), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Arizona Diamondbacks.
Season Series: Tied, 4-4.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Andrew Kittredge (0-0, 5.74) at RHP Allen Wesbter (2-2, 8.07)
It’s a ‘bullpen day’ for the Rainiers, because Sam Gaviglio is missing the start with a sore elbow. At this point we don’t know what Gaviglio’s status is moving forward.
Hot Rainiers: Steve Baron extended his hitting streak to seven games. He’s batting .358 in 19 games since being promoted from Double-A Jackson. Stefen Romero has 15 RBI in his last ten games.
Look Out For: Danny Dorn is 5-for-7 on the series – he’s hitting an amazing .434 in over 150 at-bats in the PCL, but has hit .172 in 29 at-bats in the big leagues (primarily as a pinch-hitter, which is a tough job).
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story has details on how the game got away.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook has the lowdown on all of the roster moves yesterday.
- The Mariners had a season-best 19 hits and beat the Angels, 7-2.
- Grantland’s Ben Lindbergh took a deep dive into Taijuan Walker‘s turnaround.
- In the PCL, Sacramento helped out the Rainiers by beating first-place Fresno in the 13th inning, 5-4. Kevin Frandsen had the game-winning hit.
- Albuquerque “jumped on the Chihuahuas early” in a 7-3 win at El Paso.
- Salt Lake swept a doubleheader at Las Vegas. The Las Vegas front office chooses to schedule a doubleheader right before the all-star break and take Sunday off, making it a four-day break.
- Two-time defending PCL champion Omaha is making its annual move in the American-North standings. Omaha beat Iowa last night and has won five in a row, gaining 4.5 games on first-place Oklahoma City in just five days.
- Oklahoma City at Colorado Springs was hailstormed out.
- New Orleans jumped out to a 7-0 lead but still had to sweat a 9-6 win at Round Rock, Express pitcher Martin Perez is close to returning to the Texas Rangers.
- Nashville swept a doubleheader from Memphis, making up Wednesday’s rain out. Meanwhile, over at old Greer Stadium…
- No Mariners made this week’s edition of Baseball America’s Prospect Hot Sheet, but local kid Adam Conley did.
It’s Friday night in Reno woooooooo!