The Rainiers open a four-game weekend homestand with tonight’s 7:05 game against Albuquerque, and the team is coming in hot.
Tacoma has gone 9-3 over the last 12 games, and they’ve done it by taking three-of-four from three different opponents.
The just-completed series win at Sacramento was the most impressive. The Rainiers lost the opening game of that series on Saturday night, but then took three in a row culminating with Tuesday’s 6-3 win.
This run of wins has pulled Tacoma into a second-place tie with Sacramento in the Pac-North standings, although the team is still seven games behind first place Fresno.
Tacoma is creeping up on the .500 mark, improving to 28-32 on the year. The club was ten games under just two weeks ago.
Now we’ll see if they can keep it going against Albuquerque. Tacoma faces the Isotopes eight times in the next 11 games, so this would be a good time to rack up some wins against them.
Yesterday: The Rainiers were off. On Tuesday the club finished off Sacramento with a 6-3 win, taking three-of-four in that road series. Leon Landry had the go-ahead RBI single in the eighth inning.
Today: Albuquerque (26-34) at Tacoma (28-32), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: Colorado Rockies.
Season Series: Albuquerque leads, 5-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Jon Gray (3-5, 5.10) at RHP Stephen Landazuri (0-3, 9.13)
Hot Rainiers: Franklin Gutierrez carries a 15-game hitting streak into the homestand – he’s 22-for-58 during the streak, which is a .379 batting average. Stefen Romero went 3-for-4 in each of the last two games at Sacramento. Reliever Logan Bawcom has allowed just one run in his last 17 innings pitched. Sam Gaviglio‘s last three starts: 3-0, 1.21.
Look Out For: Albuquerque shortstop Cristhian Adames went 11-for-29 with three homers vs. Tacoma when these two teams played each other eight times in the first 16 games of the season.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- Here’s the Rainiers game story from Tuesday’s win at Sacramento.
- The News Tribune has an off-day feature on Rainiers outfielder Franklin Gutierrez.
- Interesting story on Yelm’s Parker McFadden, a pitcher who the Mariners selected in the 20th round yesterday. McFadden slipped because of his commitment to Washington State, and he says he’s not signing, but the Mariners are going to try to ink him anyway.
- T.J. Cotterill has the story on local players who were drafted.
- Ryan Divish has a story on the Mariners late draft picks.
- The Mariners beat the Indians on Wednesday as Kyle Seager hit a grand slam.
The entire PCL was off yesterday, so we’ll resume the league links tomorrow.