Tacoma took down Sacramento on Monday night, 7-3, as the team continues to play well.
Starting pitching and clutch hitting have been the key elements as the Rainiers have won eight of their last 11 games.
Last night Sam Gaviglio started and allowed nothing but two solo homers over six innings. Most impressively, he did not issue any walks and recorded eight strikeouts. It was the third straight excellent outing for Gaviglio, who appears to have turned the corner after an erratic start to the season.
Offensively, Tacoma had a big two-run single by Pat Kivlehan in the sixth inning, and a game-sealing three-run homer from John Hicks in the eighth.
Tonight is the final game of the series and the road trip. The Rainiers are off on Wednesday before hosting Albuquerque in a weekend series which runs Thursday-through-Sunday.
Yesterday: John Hicks broke open a tight game with a three-run homer in the eighth inning, and the Rainiers went on to beat Sacramento 7-3. Tacoma can win the series on the road with a victory tonight.
Today: Tacoma (27-32) at Sacramento (28-31), 7:05.
Opponent Affiliation: San Francisco Giants.
Season Series: Sacramento leads, 4-3.
Starting Pitchers: RHP Forrest Snow (3-4, 2.66) at RHP Clayton Blackburn (2-3, 4.50)
Hot Rainiers: Franklin Gutierrez had two more hits yesterday, and his hitting streak has reached 15 games – he’s 22-for-58 during the streak, which is a .379 batting average. James Jones has drawn nine walks in his last ten games. Reliever Logan Bawcom has allowed just one run in his last 17 innings pitched. Sam Gaviglio‘s last three starts: 3-0, 1.21.
Look Out For: Sacramento’s Ryan Lollis had three hits last night and is 9-for-15 over his last five games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- The Rainiers game story has reaction from John Hicks and Pat Listach.
- The Mariners made their first two draft picks last night – Bob Dutton has the story.
- Seattle is continuing to make draft picks today, and you can follow along on Ryan Divish’s live draft thread.
- In the PCL, Fresno had a roster overhaul and then went out and beat Reno, 6-4.
- Albuquerque split a doubleheader at Salt Lake.
- Las Vegas topped El Paso in ten innings, 5-4. The Chihuahuas had to place popular first baseman Cody Decker on the disabled list.
- New Orleans picked up a pair of wins against Nashville, with rehabilitating Mat Latos contributing.
- Dusty Coleman had a big game on defense and everyone had multiple hits as Omaha whacked Colorado Springs, 14-2.
- Oklahoma City’s Austin Barnes went 4-for-4 with a homer in a 7-5 win at Round Rock – though the news story focuses on his teammate Corey Seager.
- Iowa topped Memphis 2-1, and Cubs infielder Javier Baez doesn’t plan on missing too much time with his fractured finger.
Tacoma is off on Wednesday – and so am I. Our next blog update will come Thursday, prior to the start of the home series against Albuquerque.