Fresno took the opening game of the four-game series last night, 4-0, marking the first time Tacoma has been shut out this season.
Not much to discuss there, so let’s talk about something fun: theft!
The Rainiers lead the Pacific Coast League in stolen bases with 41 (including four more last night). Only one team is remotely close to that total: Las Vegas has 35 steals.
The Rainiers are not only stealing often, they are doing so with remarkable efficiency. Tacoma has only been caught stealing 11 times, and their team-wide success rate is 78.8%.
Ketel Marte has been the stolen base leader. He has 11 steals, which ranks second in the PCL. James Jones has seven steals, Pat Kivlehan has six, and Shawn O’Malley five.
At this point, everybody in the league knows the Rainiers are going to try to steal. And so far, nobody has stopped them.
Yesterday: The Rainiers were shut out for the first time this season, as Fresno pitcher Brady Rodgers, Richard Rodriguez, and Darrin Downs limited Tacoma to five singles.
Today: Tacoma (12-17) at Fresno (15-13) 7:05 PM.
Opponent Affiliation: Fresno is the Houston Astros affiliate.
Season Series: Tacoma leads, 3-2.
Starting Pitchers: LHP Mike Montgomery (2-2, 3.14) at LHP Tommy Shirley (3-0, 3.26).
Injury Update: Franklin Gutierrez left Friday’s game after legging out an infield single. He was walking gingerly after pushing hard to beat the throw. I should get more information on his status later today.
Hot Rainiers: Both Ketel Marte (14 games) and James Jones (13 games) extended their hitting streaks last night. Marte’s tied a career high, set in 2013 when he was with High Desert.
Look Out For: Fresno’s Alex Presley went 4-for-4 with four singles last night, and he’s 7-for-12 over his last three games.
Broadcast: The pregame show starts at 6:50 (Pacific) on South Sound Sports 850 AM. The broadcast also streams online via the TuneIn app – just click here.
PCL Scoreboard: Follow all Pacific Coast League games in real-time with links to Gameday screens right here.
- We’ll lead off with the Rainiers game story from The News Tribune.
- The Mariners got a much-needed win on Logan Morrison‘s walk-off dinger. Here’s the footage of Nelson Cruz dumping a celebratory can of trash on LoMo’s head.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners Notebook is about yesterday’s roster move.
- The Padres called up former Rainiers outfielder Abraham Almonte to replace the injured Yonder Alonso.
- In the PCL, the Las Vegas 51s finally lost a game. Their 14-game win streak ended with a 10-6 loss in El Paso. Cody Decker did them in, launching two homers including a grand slam.
- Reno had one of those score-14-runs-and-hold-on-for-dear-life games in Salt Lake City last night. The Aces saw a 14-5 sixth inning lead turn into a 14-12 victory.
- Sacramento welcomed Hunter Pence on a rehab assignment and beat Albuquerque, 3-1.
- Speaking of rehabbers, Josh Hamilton is set to join Round Rock on Sunday. The Express lost to Nashville last night, 8-6, and the Sounds starter Jarrod Parker left with an injury.
- Iowa shut out Colorado Springs behind the pitching of Donn Roach.
- Omaha suddenly found itself without any middle infielders in a 2-1 loss to Oklahoma City.
- New Orleans annihilated Memphis, 13-1, pounding out 20 hits. Former Rainiers catcher Brandon Bantz homered, and ex-Rainiers outfielder Cole Gillespie had four hits.
Many thanks to the Fresno Grizzlies front office for quickly and properly resolving a hotel issue the Rainiers (and everyone else in the PCL) had down here. Thank you Grizzlies!