A few days ago I was watching the scores scroll past the bottom of the screen and I saw “Memphis 9, New Orleans 6.”
Those are PCL cities, but the score was actually from the opening stages of an NBA game.
It brought a question to mind: which PCL cities have Major League teams in other sports?
Let’s run down the list. I did not include soccer*.
- Fresno – none.
- Reno – none.
- Sacramento – NBA Kings.
- Tacoma – none.
- Albuquerque – none.
- El Paso – none.
- Las Vegas – none.
- Salt Lake City – NBA Jazz.
- Colorado Springs – none.
- Des Moines (Iowa) – none.
- Oklahoma City – NBA Thunder.
- Omaha – none.
- Memphis – NBA Grizzlies.
- Nashville – NFL Titans, NHL Predators.
- New Orleans – NFL Saints, NBA Hornets.
- Round Rock (Austin, TX) – none.
PCL cities overlap with five NBA teams, two NFL teams, and one NHL team.
When I was first hired by Tacoma, we had three more NHL cities in the league: Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. The PCL decided to move out of Canada (author’s note: Booooooooooo!!!!) and now we are down to one NHL city.
I think the next change on this list will be in Las Vegas, where they are apparently close to securing an NHL expansion team.
Anyway, I think it’s kind of a fun list to look at.
- Robinson Cano broke a toe when hit by a pitch during the MLB All-Star trip to Japan early on Saturday morning. Fortunately it should heal naturally in 3-4 weeks.
- Hisashi Iwakuma had a rough outing in his native country on Friday.
- The Mariners have re-signed Leury Bonilla and we can look forward to seeing him in Tacoma again next season. Also learned from Baseball America’s minor league transactions: they signed another obscure Cuban left-hander (the last time they did this “obscure Cuban left-hander” turned into Roenis Elias).
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners notebook from Sunday has some winter league notes, including good news on Erasmo Ramirez and Patrick Kivlehan.
- Buster Olney ranked the top ten catchers in the majors, and Mike Zunino comes in at No. 10. Jack Z has some interesting things to say about Zunino (subscription required).
- I am not interested in playing poker with Tacoma Tigers alum Jose Canseco because it is gross.
The hot stove league really warmed up today, with Russell Martin signing with Toronto and the big Braves-Cardinals trade. The off-season is just getting started!
* Is MLS the best soccer league in the world? If so, it should be included but I don’t think it is yet. Maybe someday.