The 2014 Tacoma Rainiers season comes to an end today, as the Rainiers play their final game of the year at 1:05 in Fresno.
Tacoma picked up a 7-3 victory last night for their 74th win of the season. Tacoma hit three homers, Andrew Carraway had a great start, and the team still needed an eighth inning comeback. Details can be found in the first link below.
After the game, the following players were told they are joining the Mariners today: Taijuan Walker, Lucas Luetge, Carson Smith, Corey Hart, Justin Smoak, Stefen Romero, and Humberto Quintero. Erasmo Ramirez and James Paxton are not eligible to go back up until the PCL season ends, so they are with the Rainiers for one more day.
Romero and Smoak have been hot all month. Romero hit .390 with nine homer and 27 RBI in August, while Smoak batted .415 with one homer and 19 RBI this month. Smoak leaves the PCL with a streak of 27 straight games reaching base via hit or walk.
With all of those call-ups, the Rainiers were a bit shorthanded for today’s season finale. The Mariners have brought in two players from short-season Pulaski to help the cause: catcher/corner outfielder Wayne Taylor and infielder Yordi Calderon are here for today’s game.
Monday’s game starts at 1:05 PM – the Alaska Airlines Pregame Show begins at 12:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM and streaming online right here. Tacoma starts LHP James Gillheeney (3-11, 5.75) against Fresno RHP Chris Heston 11-9, 3.36).
- All of the details on last night’s Rainiers victory can be found in the game story from The News Tribune.
- Dustin Ackley took matters into his own hands and ended the Mariners losing streak on Sunday afternoon. Big series in Oakland starts today.
- Fangraphs has a piece on former Rainiers and current Mariners reliever Danny Farquhar.
- The Pacific-North race is going down to the final day. Reno beat Sacramento last night 7-3, and today’s game will be for the division title. Sacramento manager Steve Scarsone is taking the calm approach.
- The winner of today’s Reno-Sacramento game will open the Pacific Conference playoffs at Las Vegas on Wednesday. Vegas lost a wild one in Albuquerque last night, 12-11.
- Omaha clinched this American-North title with a 13-8 win over Colorado Springs this morning. Yes, this morning: last night’s game was delayed by rain for 2 hours, 40 minutes before the first pitch was even thrown!
- Omaha will host Memphis in game one of the American Conference playoffs on Wednesday. Memphis was swept in a doubleheader at New Orleans yesterday.
- Round Rock’s Jared Hoying joined the 20-20 club in a 3-2 win over Nashville.
- El Paso held off Salt Lake, 4-1, and the Chihuahuas close out a highly successful inaugural season today.
- Iowa scored six runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to beat Oklahoma City, 11-8. Cubs fans in Iowa have had a glimpse of the future.
- A Brewers minor leaguer pulled a Leury Bonilla and played all nine positions in one game. Bonilla did this for Double-A Jackson on the last day of the season three or four years ago.
The season ends today, but this blog will continue on. We’ll be back on Wednesday with a brief season wrap-up and PCL playoff predictions.