Tacoma scored 14 runs over the first five innings on the way to a 14-7 victory at Salt Lake on Tuesday night.
Abraham Almonte led off the game with a home run, and we were off. Tacoma scored five runs in the first inning, one in the second, three in the third, took the fourth inning off, and then scored five runs in the top of the fifth to grab a 14-1 lead.
After two hits (but no runs) in the sixth, Tacoma had 14 runs on 19 hits. That was one run and one hit away from the team’s season-high in each category – and then the team was no-hit the rest of the way.
Not that it mattered. The Rainiers cruised to the win, and perhaps they saved some hits and runs for tonight.
Seven different players had multiple hits last night, with Xavier Avery, Ty Kelly, Humberto Quintero, and Stefen Romero collecting three each. Almonte, Romero, and Jesus Montero each homered.
Wednesday’s game starts at 6:05 PM (Pacific) – the Alaska Airlines Pregame Show begins at 5:50 on South Sound Sports 850 AM and streaming online right here. Tacoma starts RHP Andrew Carraway (4-4, 5.58) against Salt Lake RHP Caleb Clay (1-1, 3.44).
- The Rainiers game story has reaction from Jesus Montero and manager Roy Howell. From one of the Salt Lake newspapers, baseball legend Dale Murphy was at the game. The other Salt Lake newspaper has a story on the die-hard fans of the Bees.
- The Mariners were shut out by the Twins and the resurgent Phillip Hughes.
- For a burst of realism, Ryan Divish has a look at hitters the Mariners could actually trade for.
- John McGrath does not want the Mariners to trade DJ Peterson for major league help.
- Bob Dutton’s Mariners notebook has lots of good stuff.
- Former Rainiers star Adam Jones will participate in the all-star Home Run Derby.
- Here are the contestants in the Triple-A All-Star Home Run Derby.
- In the PCL, Adam Duvall homered twice and Fresno brutalized Sacramento, 14-2. Fresno’s all-stars are gearing up for the game.
- Cory Vaughn‘s pinch-hit three-run homer gave Las Vegas a 6-2 win at Reno.
- El Paso defeated Albuquerque 4-3 in what might be a burgeoning PCL rivalry.
- Nashville rallied in the late innings to win at Memphis, 4-2. You can enjoy a virtual tour of Nashville’s new stadium right here.
- Omaha pulled within a half-game of first place Iowa in the American-North by beating the Cubs 7-6 on Brian Bocock‘s game-winning hit.
- Triple-A Jio Mier rookie helped Oklahoma City pick up a 6-5 win over New Orleans.
- Round Rock edged Colorado Springs, 5-4, in a game that featured a whole bunch of rehabilitating major leaguers.