All was quiet on the Mariners and Rainiers front over the weekend.
We could have some news this week – I’m hearing some rumblings that the Mariners are about ready to announce the minor league coaching staffs, so maybe that will happen soon.
In the meantime, here’s a collection of articles I found interesting from over the weekend:
- Longtime Rainiers pitching coach Dwight Bernard was officially announced as new Fresno Grizzlies pitching coach today. He’ll work with manager Bob Mariano and hitting coach Andy Skeels. We wish Dwight the best with his new organization.
- Larry Stone’s Sunday column for the Seattle Times focuses on Robinson Cano‘s background. This is good stuff.
- On Friday, Stone wrote a column on the anatomy of the Cano deal.
- John McGrath wrote about the scene at Cano’s press conference with Jay Z in the room.
- New Mariners pitching coach Rick Waits did a Fangraphs Q&A.
- Former Portland Beavers skipper Rick Sweet will manage the Nashville Sounds this year. Sweet played for the Mariners back in the early 1980s.
- Reno’s all-star third baseman Matt Davidson got traded to the White Sox today.
- Our own Rhubarb is probably jealous of his fellow reindeer Rudolph, who got his own Baseball Reference page.