The Boston Red Sox won the World Series on Wednesday night, and we are now into the off-season.
Congratulations to the man who ranks No. 2 on the all-time Tacoma home run list, Mike Carp. He’ll be sporting a shiny World Series ring for his efforts with the Red Sox this season.
The end of the World Series does not mean the end of baseball. On Saturday you can watch Stefen Romero and likely 2014 Rainiers reliever Carson Smith in the Arizona Fall League All-Star Game, starting at 5:00 on the MLB Network. Romero had a big game on Wednesday, hitting a homer and driving in four runs.
The conclusion of the Series does mean that the Hot Stove League will begin to heat up. In the near future, the Mariners will reset their 40-man roster for the off-season. They’ll also hire a manager soon.
After the Mariners hire a major league manager, we should get some news regarding the Rainiers 2014 coaching staff. That’s a total mystery right now – I truly have no idea who our manager will be. Hey, that’s a good idea for a post next week!
- Seattle Times reporter Geoff Baker talked to super-agent Scott Boras about the Mariners interest in two of his free agent clients: Kendrys Morales and Jacoby Ellsbury.
- The Mariners interviewed former catcher Dave Valle for the managerial opening.
- Just hire Cal Ripken Jr, John McGrath writes.
- My opinion: one PCL manager who would be fun to have piloting the Mariners is Las Vegas skipper Wally Backman.
- Omaha has a new manager: Brian Poldberg, who managed the Royals Double-A team for the last six years.
- David Ortiz became the first former Salt Lake player to win a World Series MVP award. He spent all of 1999 with the Salt Lake Buzz – in fact, he homered to beat the Rainiers in the first game I ever broadcast at Cheney Stadium.
- Former Rainiers closer Randy Messenger has become a very good starting pitcher in Japan, and he’s getting huge contract offers.
- Ex-Rainiers star Matt Tuiasosopo was claimed off waivers by the Arizona Diamondbacks. He had a good season in a super-utility role with Detroit this year.
- MLB is testing the new instant replay system in Arizona Fall League games next week.
- Nothing to do with baseball, but here’s a pretty cool story about killer whales circling a boat carrying ancient tribal artifacts. Coincidence?
Have a great weekend!