Lead by former Rainiers pitcher Jarrett Grube, Salt Lake won Game Three of the PCL Championship Series in a 9-0 whitewashing of Omaha on Friday night.
Omaha leads the best-of-five series, 2-1.
Grube pitched a complete game, two-hit shutout. The 31-year-old right-hander struck out 11 batters as the Bees fended off elimination.
Game Four is Saturday at 5:35 (Pacific), and Game Five (if necessary) will be on Sunday at 12:05.
The series winner will play the International League Champion on Tuesday in the Triple-A National Championship Game held in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania. Through Friday, the Durham Bulls lead Pawtucket 2-1 in the quest for the Governor’s Cup.
I’m going to be away from my computer all weekend, so to follow the PCL and IL finals please check out the official website of Minor League Baseball. I’ll be back with a post on Tuesday to recap the PCL finals and set the stage for the Triple-A Championship game.
- Jarrett Grube talked about his shutout in this story for MILB.com.
- The News Tribune has a feature on Abraham Almonte, who got religion, quit drinking, and became a big leaguer. Solid story from TJ Cotterill.
- Omaha reliever Zach Jackson was a Triple-A veteran at the end of his career before reinventing himself as a submariner.
- You know you are a superfan when a major newspaper prints your obituary as a news story. RIP Nashville Sounds superfan Chuck Ross.
- Did you hear the one about the hot dog man who got fired because of his hatred for ketchup?